Thursday, November 4, 2021

Got out and watered..discovered something and psychology of plants

 It's still warm outside though very cool in the evening. I decided the garden might need water and when I got there, two tomatoes were close enough to be picked. I pulled off smaller ones (dime and quarter size) and left the three larger ones to ripen. It's going to be done in about a week for sure.

In trying to dig around the bean plant to make a watering basin and see just how hard the soil is that close to the wall, I heard a 'chink' of trowel hitting something hard like a rock. It was maybe two inches deep and so explored a little more and discovered.... asphalt!

 

So apparently this may have been paved over at some point but unknown why. Entirely possible it was part of the parking lot on the south side but that doesn't explain it completely. In any case, the bean plant is as far back as I want to put anything now. Not sure how far that asphalt extends sideways but I will be marking the boundary with logs and maybe eventually get a small fence or something like on the south beds.

Another discovery while watering is one of the cilantro seeds actually survived! Crossing fingers it continues to grow and I will likely add to it later on. One cilantro plant is not sufficient to survive on it's own. It's behind the tomato plant and as you can see is shaded at the moment by a clump of dirt. 



Nature finds a way in more ways than one. Like pelicans on an inland lake and tiny seedlings finding their way through the soil despite all odds.

On the landscaping front I have been wishful shopping for a new house not like I have the money right now and could only afford a mobile home to boot, I happened across a common site that was labeled as 'very low maintenance yard'. In other words... rock.

Why do they always assume that everyone wants absolutely no plants whatsoever in a mobile home? This is a travesty and makes me cringe and itch looking at it. It must be about three inches thick at most, possibly more considering the bottom stringer on the fence. It can't be dug out, you have to put planters and pots on it if you want greenery. I've also seen artificial turf which is another heinous idea. I'm to young to be old and yet don't want to be around other people with yappy dogs or screaming kids on a weekend.

Landscaping in a mobile home park varies greatly depending on the location and geographical area. In other words, that can swing from a good size actual grass area with a vegetable garden to tree backed small yard to pavement to the lava rock. Oh and the front of that one didn't look so inviting either.

I could also tell what places had plants put in or placed for curb appeal and others simply left alone. Given the past two years many places are likely up for sale due to the owner dying or unable to make payments sadly. I look at several factors having been around the block a few times, I've also seen what passes for yards in my own neighborhood which is not the best as far as income and social status is concerned. I think about what I could do with a reasonable size yard, the bulbs, shrubs, veggies and all that. Greenery is life, gives life and adds to life. It is vital to have it around and has been shown that plants improve your mental health as well.  To me that picture above is very depressing and makes me want to go crawl into a hole and pull the cover over. Nothing to live for. That's just me though. (That property btw was in the Bay Area/Sunnyvale). This one is in Washington state:

    

The back yard has grass though unkept but still. That color makes me more relaxed and knowing that there is life. I won't even consider that particular property for a few other reasons but saved it anyway. (That roof line for one).

Anyway, even if you have weeds, they are a sign of life continuing. Make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...