Monday, July 19, 2021

And the results are in!

 

Just as I suspected
 

 It was hard to get a good photo of the test that showed the color, sorry.

So the only difference on this test is I screwed up on the pH. I did it like the other tests using water from the jar and then mixing it. I looked at the instructions after the fact and realized I should have used soil then powder then water and mix it up. In a container that small, it doesn't make sense. But as you can see a nice rich blue and orange for phosphorus and potassium and, once again, zero nitrogen. At least the soil is a little more acidic this time but still on the alkaline side.

I need to consult with an expert on this and see if I need to amend with higher nitrogen at the end of the season. IF I add compost that will put some in but still very slow release for what I need for next year. 

Doing some research to see what peas and root crops need for the fall. Obviously phosphorus is high enough for roots and flowers. Still will add more compost because it's just too much 'dirt' for me. 
Might have to pass on the carrots and wait until spring instead given how hot it is and how long we have warm weather. What else can I plant? 
I won't plant anything I won't eat and don't have room for. I would LOVE a cucumber but need a structure for it first. Tomatillos get huge like a tomato and those are a summer crop too. 
Lists say onions, melons, peas (yes!) bell pepper (yes!) okra (meh), pumpkins (nope) and watermelon (hard nope due to size). I discovered in research that pinto beans come in bush and vine type. Had no clue! I just might find some and try them in the tomato/pepper bed.  There are bush cucumbers but a bit late to start those now. Besides they get about the same size as a zucchini so still no room.
 
Cooler weather is also going to be the time for digging the rest of the non-sectioned garden near the Jade plant.  Which may be a problem for mice and other critters to hide in. Maybe flowers over there?
Also need to get rid of the extra tomato cages. And the aloe plant. And at least part of the wood pile. Sigh. Lots of work and it technically isn't my property to change.
The end of the garden area is a good spot for shade tolerant herbs since it gets morning shade and very little sun later and even less sun in the winter. Oh, also need to flatten the ground a bit on the path and see about some pavers or bark or something. It may turn into a slip and slide if and when it rains. But then I won't be going out in the rain now will I? May have to let it go fallow over the winter. Will see.
In my head I'm imagining a thriving small garden where the extra veggies are put out on the patio table for anyone to take. Since most of the people here don't get out of their apartments very much, might be up to some of us 'yunguns' to do the work. 

Okay need to go out and see how everything is doing then maybe go to the garden store and dream a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...