Saturday, August 28, 2021

Looks like more failure and am disheartened.

 So the one zucchini that I pollinated yesterday doesn't look like it took well. Flower was closed up and when I tried to open it, this is what it looked like:


Can't see it but some of the stigma were brown and the rest weren't, ants of course having a ball but unless they walked from a male flower to here, not a pollenizer. So that's a no go and so is another one that I tried to open the flower that had collapsed already and...oops. 

That will be yellowing soon and no zucchini. I think I'm just going to give up on these. This picture is on the formerly all male bush and as you can see, still lots of buds but no one is syncing up yet. I got two fruit and the first one I picked I still haven't done anything with and it is shriveling. I suppose I'm not much of a vegetable gardener after all.

The tomato still isn't quite ready yet, still very much dark orange rather than red, I ate another tomato today in a salad and guess what, it tasted like a tomato! Yeah that happens a lot I'm sure. I am hoping that I have better success with peas and leafy stuff as long as I can get more nitrogen and other nutrients into the soil. Still another month or so before that starts happening due to the weather. Another hot day today and we're buttoned up already at 12:30pm. I do have one little success and I mean tiny:

Cilantro!

Yes indeed one little seed carried by the water from behind the bush all the way to the front under the tomato. I was about to pick it but saw the secondary leaf and then felt it and was 'YAY!' will see how far it gets though. I almost watered this morning but might do it in the evening instead. Might even throw some of the bell pepper seeds down and see who comes up. Luckily they sprout in about a week with warm weather like we're having. 

FYI:
When they say the temperatures need to be between 70-80 degrees that means not only the air temperature but the soil needs to be warm as well. That's likely why tomatoes and peppers do so well in the summer but not so much in the spring or fall. Soil temperature is crucial in some seeds as much as the ambient temperature. Chili peppers need warmer weather as well and it always confounded me when people came in for plants in March. 'Dude, it is still spring despite it being 75 outside, the soil isn't warm enough yet.' Then I have to explain the details and if they wanted, they could go get some seeds and start those, see how long it takes for them to sprout. Right.

Anyway, it is a good time of  year at least to try peppers and I might just trash the zucchini plant in another few weeks and dig in that bed for peas. Get a DIY String trellis and give it a go. On second thought, that side of the garden is going to be in more shade soon, might do the lettuces and greens over there and put the peas where the pepper is and see what else I can put in that bed for the winter. I don't do cabbage or brussel sprouts, kale, all those crops take  A LOT of nitrogen in the soil and a LOT more room to grow. 
Did you know a cabbage plant can get three feet across? Brussel sprouts can get 5 feet high and 3 feet wide? Same with cauliflower, broccoli all those crops. I'm pushing my space with the two zucchini that may well be stunted due to lack of nutrients.
Oh and if you're going to grow a pumpkin for halloween, get it in the ground now! You might be in time for October depending on the variety but the window is getting smaller and smaller.

One thing low nitrogen soil is good for is root crops. Radishes and carrots I would definitely grow,but still need more of the other nutrients boosted. Remember 'Up, Down, all Around' so definitely need more phosphorus for good root growth. Root crops generally are not available in starts because it's too easy to mess the tap root in transplanting.  Not to say you can't but you have to be extra careful. I will start looking at some radish and short carrot varieties soon as the weather cools down. Hopefully soon.

So look at your local area suggestions not the back of a seed packet. The people who live in your area and are experts or experienced can give the best advice. Everything is a chance, including gardens, just look at all my posts!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...