Sunday, October 31, 2021

Fall things and soil depth check

 With the garden winding down and weather cooling, not getting out to the garden every day. Got out there today and watered since I do have one and a half plants still in the ground. Bean is still doing okay, tomato is literally hanging in there.











Hard to take a good picture of the bean due to it being so far back and can't get to it. I did try a couple of shots though. The tomato is looking particularly sad though with the larger tomato pulling down the branch over the cage top.

 

Trees aren't the only ones with leaf color changing. Hard to tell but the top leaves are turning almost purplish. From what I remember that is either from a nutrient or weather condition. Both are true as the nights have definitely gotten cooler lately and it hasn't been fed in weeks. It is to be expected though, this late in the season so I'm not really concerned. 

Something else that is growing but not in my beds are more mushrooms in the lawns where there were bushes previously.











By no means are either of these edible but just thought they were cool looking and possibly good subjects for painting. I covered this previously that fungus is expected this time of year when there's more moisture and cooling weather. In some places, usually near parking lots,  I can smell fungus in the air as mulch and roots are rotting. I would never ever pick a wild mushroom unless there were three experts on site giving a definite thumbs up all unanimously.

Something else this time of year...rose hips.

Not all rose hips are usable, they won't kill you but they just don't have the same qualities as larger varieties, notably rosa rugosa or true wild roses (which no one grows purposely).  My favorite one that I grew for a short time was the Apothecary Rose (Rosa gallica) which dates back to the 1500's. Beautiful bright pink and wonderful fragrance! I had to give mine up as I had to move to an apartment with no porch or place to put it. Hope it's still alive.

Original copy of Redouté engraving




 


Rosa gallica







Anyway, most roses can be used but the bigger and more vibrant colored ones the better. I don't particularly use them in tea or whatever but they are packed with Vitamin C and are good. Just don't use any systemics on your plants if you plan to ingest any part of them!!

 

Now.. about that soil depth check.

I mentioned it simply because I was trying to get a second stick into the dirt next to the bean and again, due to angle of attack and  balance couldn't get it in very far. But the bean is also growing at the back where I didn't dig the soil as much. Big big difference.

Mud line about an inch
Mud line about two inches

First picture, stuck it in very close to the bean. Second picture was to the front of the bed near where the pepper plant was. It could have gone even deeper on the second one if I tried.

This is a good indication of where the roots are going to go as well. Still a lot more to do in that bed though before anything more can be planted.

 

 

Despite having wonderful trees that change color and are very photographic, there are things like angle, an umbrella, buildings and all, that ruin a good photo. this tree has changed color and started losing leaves like crazy. We had a good wind come up a few days ago so that blew a lot of them to the ground.


Gardeners will come around tomorrow and rake/blow them and take them away of course. Such is the way of city living otherwise I would be out there doing it and throw them on the compost pile.

First time in over twenty  years I have the opportunity to enjoy the seasons instead of dreading or thinking of things that I need to take care of wherever I was working. Right now in the nursery it would be rose, bulb and bare root season. Which I might go check out because I Really want to get some bulbs this year. Maybe even plant some garlic in the south bed. Garlic tops are good replacement for green onions or having a light garlic flavor to eggs. no lack of garlic in my kitchen that's for sure.

I love flowers and seeing them grow and bloom for me is just a very rich reward. Growing  most anything is a reward in itself which is why a lot of parents and schools use seeds and plants as part of curriculum. Cause and effect, cycle of life and processes of nature covers several categories.

Bulbs... hyacinth have to be my favorites with daffodils and their cousins coming in second. Tulips are pretty but too delicate and in my area most of the usual spring flowers like that won't come up a second season. I will have to wait until spring for the gladiolas and freesias which are my summer favorites. Gosh darn it I am going to have a flower bed! Or planter...of some sort. Somewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...