Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Warmer and watered, ideas forming.

 I considered more options for shading the seeds in the north bed. It was definitely dry today so I watered thoroughly and considered what I could do.





















I picked up some sticks from the lawn that were reasonably straight, abandoning them for the most part due to so many little bits that would get caught on the cheesecloth. As I watered I remembered the two wire things I had found and realized those might do just fine if paired with small sticks.

There are issues with this particular prototype but in essence, it is what I need in design. Essentially an A frame or hoop frame to lay the cheesecloth on. Wish I had some of the muslin from storage to use instead of cheesecloth but have to work with what I've got. Supposed to get in the high 80's today and tomorrow, pushing 100 by Thursday supposedly. Definitely need to get that set up before then or will have to be out there twice in the day to water.

COAT HANGERS! Where are metal coat hangers when you need them????   

What I came up with:

Not perfect but it is a solution. I knew I would need the bag clips for something! I may have hit a few seeds with the hangers but it's a sacrifice and not that much. Wire hangers would be so much better so I could open it up into a diamond shape and uncurve the hook, use the bread bag clips to hold the cheesecloth on.

Large row covers can be made with cheap hula hoops cut in half  but still need the fabric to cover it. I know of all the things and where to get them, just need the money to buy it all. It would cost about $30 for the potato cages if I did it properly, using cut out containers, about $10 depending on what containers I get.  Just realized I'm going for the expensive hardware cloth when chicken wire would work just fine! Doh! 'Poultry fencing' at HD is less than $10 for the size and length I need. Geee, now just need some poles so instead of 30 it would be about $20. Still affordable.

A lot of the instructions for that type of tower uses straw which I don't have handy and couldn't really afford anyway. The straw stays damp on the inside and provides insulation around the soil but this isn't a perfect world but if I ever come into money, that will be the way to go.

Looking through all the images and articles for growing potatoes there's at least one or two sites that are titled, 'why potato towers don't work'. Well, considering how many hundreds of other sites were showing success stories, it all depends on how it's done. I saw a friend  use one of the potato sacks with the door on the side very successfully and yet my attempt using black plastic buckets failed. Here's the difference.

Hers was in full sun, she likely used the native soil that had plenty of chicken poop and straw in it even though the native soil was sandy clay, it worked. My attempt was in partial sun, used potting soil that held onto moisture too long and they rotted. So there you go. Much like Pinterest Fails, garden fails happen for the same reason. Lack of proper tools, equipment and location to replicate ideal conditions.

A little more research on that and will update with what is going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Finally settled down a bit

 It's been a hectic week for sure and especially frustrating but have not ignored the garden. It's warming up now, for the next few ...