Thursday, August 4, 2022

Early out, things are happening.

 I was going to post after I went to the garden but got sidetracked and suddenly it's 8 pm. It was 'cooler' today having high clouds that looked like it would rain but just made things warm and muggy. Didn't turn the AC on at all but had a fan on me all day.

I watered and sad to report a snail got the other bean sprout, the one without leaves, but that's fine.

Definite snail trail near it and it was laying down. Ah well, hoping they don't get the other one. Sunflowers are flourishing and the cucumber has flowers!!!!










The flowers are a lot smaller than I expected. I guess I'm used to squash blossoms and not cucumbers. After I watered it was laying 'face first' on that piece of bark and didn't see any swelling behind it so... like the zucchini, it is putting out males at first, there's a bud above that turning color and more on up the stem.  I might have to go out and get some alyssum to plant in that bed for pollinators. Sunflowers aren't open and close enough to do any good.

Beans are still hanging in there, got a long ways to go before anything happens with them.
 
Yes it was hot by the time I got out there so thoroughly soaked the beds, didn't bother taking pictures of the empty bed. Nothing changed there so no need for sad pictures. That cuke is just going like gangbusters though and I'm glad I gave it some poles for support. The bean was already trying to fold up their leaves from the heat and the other two were just hanging out. Such a difference, they'll do fine I'm sure even if they are getting more shade.
 
Nice top down shot of the cuke showing all the bud stems and flower at the base. I might break off some of the lower leaves to give it more air and pollinator exposure. The poor peppers were so droopy and the soil definitely was no longer nice and dark which is what is going to happen with the weather in summer. It almost felt like rain but at least it was cloudy so that helped retain some moisture in the afternoon. 

Once again got sidetracked by other things and it's taken me close to three hours to finish this post. Will see what happens tomorrow and hopefully nothing happens overnight.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...