Wednesday, August 31, 2022

It has begun, and short post

 The heat has begun not garden work. It was 86 when I woke around 10 this morning and by 11 it was 90. By 11:30 it was 94. Needless to say we closed up when I got out of bed this morning and may not open up until close to 10 tonight.

I got out and watered anyway because the plants needed it.



The sunflower will be pulled tonight hopefully. I doused it well but it is done for the season, if I didn't have a cat I would have cut the flower at it's peak and brought it inside. He would have tried to eat it and likely knock it over and cause a mess. 

I only watered, didn't do anything else because...90 in the shade. So not much else to do or say, I think even the gophers are staying underground because nothing new was showing. The two mounds may have new dirt but couldn't tell.

I can't even think of anything to talk about for gardens other than water, water, water but not in the middle of the day like I did. I remember at the nursery being told to water early and well before high heat days. Then they wondered why we were hanging around inside with nothing to do. Not going out in 94 degree weather just to pull weeds. Everything was watered, wasn't going to sweep the aisles in that heat. So stand inside and help customers as they arrived. 

Just a note, plants in thin walled containers suffer more from root stress than in clay pots or ceramic. The thicker walls of the ceramic pots insulate better and if they are light colored or white it will reflect the heat rather than absorb it glazing also helps reflect heat as it is a shiny surface. Yes they are heavier to move but then, if you have a huge plant on a big patio why are you going to move it?

Stay cool, take an evening walk when it's cooler outside. This will be over soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...