Saturday, August 6, 2022

Still don't have to water and a new pest.

 It's going to be another day in the 90's so as soon as I'm done with this post we will be closing up for the day.  Brought my nozzle down because it's been so hot and muscle memory says, hot = watering and despite the plants being wilted, I did not water.

 


It does look dry but that is almost two inches of mulch. Technically yes, should water to cool it down a bit but I didn't even though I hooked up my nozzle already. Hard to see on the cucumber but the tendril that's just resting on the pole? I shifted so it gets the stimulation to curl around it. Keep that in mind for a later picture.
 
Everthing is still growing, the bean in front isn't folded up yet because it's still shaded, I am sure in about an hour it's going to be folded up like it's praying for rain. Upon inspecting the sunflowers I noticed this little guy hanging out. I think it's missing a hind leg. 
 
Tried to grab it but of course I was coming from behind and it lived another day. Will try again and also will try and cut back those weeds which are prime favorite hiding place for hoppers. While looking at that one I noticed suspicious and familiar speckling on the lower leaf. 
 
Lacebug. Dagnabit! Neem or insecticidal soap and pyrethrins will take care of them but not in this heat during the day.
Front and back of damage from nymphs. According to a pest site, ladybugs and green lacewing larva will take care of them but ...right. They also suggest horticultural oil which neem is under that  Typically they show up earlier in the season so other than the weeds not sure where they came from. They are specifically Chrysanthemum Lace Bugs and since chrysanthemum and sunflowers are in the same daisy family (believe it or not) they can be attacked. At least it's not mites.

There is indeed a flower bud developing on the headless sunflower, third rank of leaves down. It also has Lace Bug but I didn't see anything on the peppers, hope to check tonight when it's cooler. Remember the cucumber tendril? It wasn't curled like that five minutes before when I took the other picture, they are fast growers for sure. There seemed to be a flower that could have swelling behind the bud indicating a female flower, will see what happens. 






 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...