Monday, September 26, 2022

Had to water and that's it.

 I went out for my evening walk around the complex and since it was almost dark didn't take any pictures but noticed the pepper was not perky. Time to water and check on things this morning. I'm trying to do more stretching, walking/running in place and a good brisk walk around the complex to get my exercise regimen going. Sitting too long at the computer all day. 


 Very sad pepper but you can see the larger fruit here and there's a smaller one upper right of it. That one pepper though.... ummmmm. 

Anyway birds and butterflies are flitting around, hardly a breeze today but will be just as hot as yesterday. I saw a small bird fly up onto a wall next to a light. Onto the vertical wall  not the top of a wall. I was walking Rocky so couldn't get a picture. I think  it was a Nuthatch? Small body but longish tail, too far away for color ID but it was cool to see it just jumping around and I know it was likely either getting some bugs/spiders or spider webs. It's the time of year for bugs and webs and birds and all that.

You know, it didn't occur to me until I was an adult that the reason why spider webs, specifically orb webs were part of Halloween decorations, same with spiders and crows. It took me until I was an adult and working outside 99 percent of the time to connect the natural cycle of bugs and animals to symbols for a made up holiday. Orb Weavers (and other spiders) build their webs in the fall for the coming egg clutch, crows migrate and also build nests in the fall for spring nesting season (this is just my own thoughts on it and haven't done any questioning to find out for sure).

The reason this came up is, when I went to go water there was a spider web on the hose and lemon bush. Which, by the way, has not ripened any lemons yet, not since last year. It needs food desperately and regularly but it's not my bush, not going to bother it. Anyway, the spider web triggered the 'it's fall' in my nature brain. Orange leaves don't cut it for me in SoCal. I didn't think to look up at the trees when I went to the garden but will do that next time.

So with the cooler nights comes the slow natural cycle of things that tells animals that the change is coming and be prepared.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...