Saturday, September 24, 2022

Was busy yesterday

 Had an errand or two to run early in the day then came home, fixed lunch and by that time it was too late to go out as it was getting hot. Hotter earlier today as it is now 90 and not even noon yet. Clear, light wind and still summer here.

Welcome fall. Right.

Well it's still growing and healthy at least. That pepper is going to be odd looking for sure but it's about doubled in size in about a week. If that fertilizer does the job I am hoping to have a usable pepper in a week or so. 

I don't know what I would be doing if  I didn't have something to grow. I usually busy myself with other hobbies but my biggest hobby investment is in beads which I don't have the room for. I think barring two places I've lived there has been opportunity to grow plants somewhere somehow. I've always been interested and surrounded by nature and I don't think that's going to stop any time soon.

I know I've mentioned butterflies before and how to attract them but seeing a few different varieties in the past two days flitting around made me want to talk about timing again. Also an ad for growing more 'pollinator' friendly plants got my attention and mild ire. They only mentioned butterflies.

First; know what you have room for. People think they need a huge yard to be able to attract butterflies and other pollinators, and yes there are more than butterflies and bees out there that can act as pollinators. If you only have a patio garden, make sure it's mostly in the sun. Butterflies prefer not to get in the shade and the colors on flowers won't pop in the shade to their UV tuned eyes.


 I actually had a UV light pen and tested it out one time and it's true! Bees and butterflies see a target where to find nectar.

Planning for a garden and plants you have to consider what will be blooming and when. An example, 'I want to plant milkweed for the monarchs' That's all well and good but it's late winter and the plants aren't available for another month. Monarchs in my area don't show up until around June. So many people come in the wrong time of year to attract butterflies most likely because they just saw an article about it being critical. ::facepalm::

Not in flipping JANUARY! Do your research, find o ut what local butterflies and moths that are out there, when they are most likely to be migrating or emerging and mating then make a list! Some people are crushed to find out that the Gulf Fritillary butterfly lays eggs for caterpillars on passion flower vines. 'But I don't want them to eat my vines!'. ::facepalm:: I actually had a lady want flowers to attract butterflies but not caterpillars. But she wanted to attract Monarchs.

Sigh. Know what plants are nectar for the adults and food for caterpillars. Try to allow for both but if not, nectar plants will do. Right now I have seen a swallowtail, a sulphur butterfly and yesterday a monarch. This is the time of year for them to lay eggs because this is the time of year those host plants are growing and in flower. That's the way they work, almost in symbiosis over millions of years timing their life cycle to the plants they need.

So plan your flowers and plants according to the time of year when prospective insects are going to be about. Bees start earlier than butterflies, but they are out almost year round where I am. Plan for blue, white, red and pink flowers for the bees. Any color for butterflies as long as it has a center they can land on. Moths are difficult but imagine if they have the same eyes as the other two, open flat flowers for them as well. 
I would love to grow lavender (will go into the different varieties another time) but if you have rosemary that's a good substitute. Don't want to grow that? Oregano, sage, thyme are all good as well but only as long as you allow them to flower.

Okay enough for today, long text few pictures. Staying cool inside for the next few days, might try to get out in the evening to check the pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...