Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Well, it's raining as predicted

 Weather this morning said rain around noon, started misting/sprinkle around 11 and now it is raining steady. Glad I got out to the garden to snap a few pictures this morning. 











Reference photos compared to yesterday because weather is what it is. I saw an article espousing the benefits of Sweetgum trees. I had to post 'do not plant in a lawn or near a foundation!' and used a photo from the lawns here of what those and the Sycamores are doing to the lawns.

Anyway back in the garden. All is quiet for the rainy weather, getting a good gentle soaking rain right now and don't have to worry about watering for a while.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Speaking of reference photos, it's the same potato leaf a day apart. Doesn't seem to be any new damage on the plant but looks like that leaf I picked did get some more chewing. That's what trap plants are for, redirecting snails and slugs away from the plants.  As long as I can put some other soft and delicate plant leaves out around the potatoes I might be able to deter the little mollusks from attacking the potatoes more.

The whole row of plants (actually really excited about having so many plants for potatoes). Hope they survive to summer for harvesting. Then I looked at the lettuce.











Dangnabit... I know those snails are hiding under that board and did what I could running a stick under it but didn't dislodge any thing other than an empty shell.

I made a decision to sacrifice two of the really stretched out single seedlings and plant two peppers.
May well tug those last two out as well and put the green peppers in but then where am I going to planet everything?!











The other tomatoes are getting their true leaves just fine now and am debating whether to thin those to 1 plant per pod. They're all sitting in the window today because some natural light is better than none and closed the little side windows for less cold wind.

I threw all the logs and pieces of bark on the log pile away from the plants, giving mollusks fewer places to conveniently hide. There is a pile of leaves in the corner to the left of that picture that I halfheartedly pulled out with my foot into the divot the dripping water from the roof had made. That pea is outperforming all the others, not sure what's in that root zone but it's stronger and taller than all the rest. There's a big gap between that one and the one on the end to the right that really makes me want to plant another pea but would need to buy maybe two plants to fill in the line and they don't come in singles, only 6's. Might have to check the little nursery up the street and see if they have a four pack or a four inch container. But then again I planted some lettuce in the gaps and have those carrots coming soon. Hopefully.

 After on and off again rain this week and weekend then all next week and then some will be sunny and partly cloudy days in the 70's in about a week. Yippeeee! 

I just thought of something to do in the corner of the garden. Birdbath. I don't think they'll allow a feeder and I can't afford to get bird seed on top of everything else. The doves outside are foraging the leaf pile on the roof of the house over the fence. Doves are ground feeders so if I put seed out or a feeder it would have to be cracked seed. One of the main reasons they don't want seed feeders is rats and mice. Understandable and who knows what's living in that jade bush right? Oh well, good idea but not for this garden.

I forgot to cover up the compost darn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...