Monday, July 8, 2024

Comparisons and cages

 I am now seeing a difference day to day of growth on the plants. It's only in the mid 80's for the weather but with less wind than usual but it's midday and the wind change has yet to happen.

The haze still hangs around because of the four or five wildfires in SoCal. Last count there were a total of 81 fires in California from one end to the other. That's 80 too many for our drought stricken state.











Today and from June 28 which is only 9 days ago! That squash has almost tripled in size, the peppers have doubled their height and tomatoes the same. I guess I wasn't exaggerating that I can see a difference every day.
 

Male flowers have almost opened but the female (typical of squash) is much slower to grow out. There's more males coming on about the same age as the female so should be fine when she's ready. I actually had to tie the taller tomato to the trellis. It was leaning away so I found a short piece of wire and pulled it up closer. Not too tight, just enough to guide it. That pepper is also growing leaps and bounds (have to check my notes on which one it is).


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  Poblano is on the left, JalapeƱo on the right in the bed. Planted June 11 or thereabouts. What a difference almost a month makes! It happens every year, and yet it always makes me giddy seeing plants grow. Almost like I don't expect them to do anything and fail. 
 

Lots of flowers on the older tomatillos and I decided to put some cages on the smaller ones in the small bed. Also used a stick to prop up the potato plant because it was kind of falling over too. I'm hoping to leave it in the ground as long as possible and it will give me some potatoes by the end of summer. Going to look for some Yukon Gold potatoes in the store, some of those baby ones to plant in the fall. I found a red one that Rocky may have used as a toy ball.


Nothing different here other than everything is still thriving. I watered the logs the other day for the lizards and wondered what kind of container I could put out for them to drink from. It would have to be very shallow so as not to attract mosquitos. Oh well another thing to put to the side, they've survived this long, they will continue to survive without me helping.

Gardening helps you realize that the world really can revolve around you and what you do in a small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...