Thursday, July 11, 2024

Still hot and hazy

 The only thing missing is the smell of smoke in the air. It was slightly overcast and foggy in some places this morning and I smelled moisture in the air last night. I was hopeful the weather would be cooler.  Not a chance.










 
These are from yesterday but basically the same haze today. Sunset was kind of pretty though, of course.
 










 
It was a lot brighter orange than the pictures show. I went out in the evening again when it was cooler to check on the garden and got the pictures. Ground level in a suburban neighborhood does not give the best view of sunset.

 Last night and this morning. I decided to tear open the female and pulled off two of the male flowers to get some pollen on her. It looked like she had already open and closed but wasn't close to opening yesterday.Here's hoping for a successful pollination. There's another female coming in behind her and a male flower as well. Squash are such high maintenance plants.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The small pepper in the front is almost being overtaken by the squash and even the one on the right is going to be struggling. The tomatillos in the west bed are doing great and the potato is still green and growing. Sigh. And another flower on the strawberry! That soil is the same stuf I used in the small cups and yet it takes a lot longer to dry out. I need to double check the holes to make sure it's draining well enough.

I discovered one of those cereal pots is split up the side from when I took another plant out, oh well. I need to buy some of those red solo cups or maybe find some smaller packs of different colors for planting. I took pictures of them to put up on the garden trade page, otherwise they'll go to waste. I might offer them to Layla since her plants just suddenly up and died. Those were carry overs from last year so she's lucky she got this far from them.











Lots and lots of flowers on the older tomatillos, they all seem to be holding fruit nicely sokeeping an eye on them. I am not sure still what that broadleaf plant is at the very back. It almost looks like eggplant but that would be a seed dropping from Dolores' plant for sure. Carrot and cilantro, still going. Carrot and potato plants in summer. Go figure. And the Asparagus fern is blooming, wonderful smell of apricot/peach when I walk by. Such an evil plant with sweet smelling flowers.

And something tried to dig up the corner of that bed. Fairly recent when I discovered it because I moved the dirt to cover the hole and it was still dark underneath. If it were an animal looking for a way into better dirt, it was foiled by the double layer of chicken wire. It may have been possum or just a cat digging for a spot to pee. A cat would have covered it up again so I'm thinking digging for grubs or bugs. I filled in the hole so will see tomorrow if something comes back. Watered everything except the strawberry The cups were almost bone dry and figured I'd splash some water on everything else while I had the hose out.

Will check again tonight as glose to dusk as possible, it didn't get cool enough to open up until almost dark last night. Hazy, lazy days of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...