I knew it would be sad and ugly since I didn't get out to the garden to water yesterday... my experience and intuition was right. It is 90 outside, low humidity and partial high spotty clouds so that means... garden in distress.
It is confirmed though, of those four plants, the two on the right and back are indeed bell peppers and the other two remaining were probably jalapeƱos. They are all now compost.
One midsummer empty bed. The two peppers that were on that plant are indeed bells but since they were only about an inch long, it was not worth caring for them in this heat. I would have to be down there every day, early morning before the heat to water them. You can see by the soil after I pulled them that there is very little moisture left.
I got the cultivator and started digging, what I did discover were roots. Lots of them and they smelled of Liquid amber trees. The gosh darn logs I used as filler are sprouting roots and growing into the bed. I knew there were roots in there before but it's even worse now. If I tried to use a root inhibitor product I wouldn't be able to grow anything in there. They're too deep and embedded to dig out and would increase the amount of soil I need to fill the bed. So just have to rip out as much as possible and keep adding soil to compensate. The roots of the peppers weren't that developed either which is testament to not having enough fertilizer or water. I really need about ¼ bale of straw for mulch during the summer. Bark mulch is almost useless because I'd have to rake it out and it doesn't break down as quickly as straw.So, fertilizer and a bag of soil this week for that bed. The garlic I'm about to give up on as well, I should have watered but again, too hot to drag that hose out in the middle of the day. I have my grubby pants on and a t shirt so will see if I have the energy in the evening.
It's too dang hot!




No comments:
Post a Comment
Questions? Comments, Concerns...