We had the AC on all night last night because it was miserable inside the apartment despite it being in the 70's after dark. I heard the manager reprimand someone, maybe one of the gardeners using a hose that it wasn't necessary and water was expensive.. So that got me thinking.
Yes it got that hot two days in a row.Anyway, I was pulling the hose out a few days ago and then when I put it back the ancient weather beaten door came off the overhead track. I couldn't figure it out so I left it mostly closed but hanging by one set of wheels. So then when I heard about the water issue I realized I was using gallons and gallons of water when it wasn't necessary.
So I grabbed one of the gallon water jugs and used the other hose to fill it up and do that for watering. I'm using maybe only six gallons of water between the raised bed and the poor oregano. Really going to have to dig that out and let it restart again. It's been surviving on minimal or no water and shows it.
The tomato has flowers, maybe one tiny little fruit started but if I can't keep it watered it'll likely abort. It needs to be another foot or two taller than this to be mature with fruit. Tomatoes love well draining but moist soil and that's not happening often enough. Will try and get out tomorrow evening and give it and the onions (also not growing a whole lot in this heat) another dousing.
Figured the tomato would do really good being a slicer but just did a little more research and there you have it.... it's a spring/fall crop not midsummer. Might as well just rip it out at this point. It's not growing because it's too hot. Dangit! I should have done more research on that one on the spot. I would have picked out a different one for sure.
Frustrating for sure, the AI answer said it can be planted in June/July... NOT in San Diego and I made a point of putting that in the search. With our weather this needed to be planted next month maybe.
So heat and more heat and that's about it. Not going to expect any fruit off that bush any time soon....



No comments:
Post a Comment
Questions? Comments, Concerns...