Sunday, June 27, 2021

No real news and maybe a topic

 I finally met the other tenant who has the mint and weed beds. Hispanic lady that was watering her beds.  I opened with, 'Oh so that's your bed? This is mine." and pointed to my tomato and pepper plant. In a heavy accent she said, 'oh pepper?' I said 'yes and tomato, and that zucchini over there.' she smiled and nodded then went back to watering her weed beds. I was not going to go into the fact she had a bed full of purslane that was completely overtaking the tiny mint sprig she had put in the ground. Nor the fact that the rose cutting was completely dead. Communication difficulty (and possibly thought process) was not going to make it any better.
So I left her to watering and decided some people just want to see green whatever it was and if it got her out of her apartment to take care of something outside more power to her. But so help me if any of those plants invade my space, they are coming out.

The lemon tree is now getting a bit yellow, oh and when she uses the hose she puts it in the aloe pot before turning it off. Sometimes the lemon tree. I don't think she read the sign. The tree desperately needs food and am now thinking I should have kept the package of tree food to put on it myself.

I'm going to go walk around Balboa Park with my daughter so will likely come back with some pictures of plants and stuff. Going to be hot but so much to look at there and I think I've seen just about all of it ever since I came to San Diego twenty some years ago. 

A short history of Balboa Park: It started as the 'City Park' in 1868 then  expanded on with the help of Kate Sessions who is forever known now as 'The Mother of Balboa Park'. She is credited with responsible for the incredible variety of trees and plants that were planted and some still survive. The biggest claim to fame for the park is the 1915-1916 Panama- California Exposition that is the reason we have such amazing architecture and so many museums.  I am leaving out a lot of the history but to give an idea here is a picture of the reflecting pool in front of the botanical building (which would be at your back in this view)


and now:


I learned plant identification in Balboa Park and the college campus I was taking the course at. One of the reasons I'm so familiar with it.

Oh and the other thing Balboa Park is known for is the 'World Famous San Diego Zoo'. Which takes up a large chunk of the acreage and on a breezy day in some parts of the park you can be downwind from it.

As a plant note of the pond, the two large plants at the end are Lotus plants and lining the sides of course are the wonderful waterlilies. After working at the nursery for so long I have dozens of photos of lily flowers and a few of lotus flowers when we got the plants in.

So just a nice easy Sunday morning, the weather is still heating up so morning and evening is my times for checking the garden. I watered this morning very well and I think I have some tomatoes growing and the peppers are doing good too! Yay! I'll likely have peppers before tomatoes and hope that with my care there will be no incidents of blossom end rot. More on that another time.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...