Wednesday, June 30, 2021

A Walk in the Park

I took the opportunity to go to Balboa park yesterday and came home with LOTS of pictures. A few lessons in variety of plants, changes in plantings that I remember from years ago and got some exercise too.


Right off the bat next to where I parked was this succulent garden. Low maintenance, nothing too pokey but wait, what's the bright splash of orange over there? A marigold bush. Yes indeed, honest to goodness marigold. 'One of these things is not like the other..' What the heck? Apparently everything there is thriving and it looks like it's been there for a few months. Who'da thunk right?

 

This is a small flowering perennial garden (and sorry for the sign being cut off, couldn't see my screen well in the sun) that is a designated Monarch Waystation. I was careful not to step on any of the plants in order to get the picture. This isn't all of the garden either, there was another twenty feet to the left.

Previously there were other plants in that bed, large perennial shrubs that were pretty for sure but it was nice to see that this garden was now a functional habitat aid for Monarch butterflies.


Speaking of butterflies, that little butterfly circled there is called a Grey Hairstreak and is a California native. Tiny little thing no bigger than a fingernail but it is attracted to this native Salvia for obvious reasons. I believe what it is sitting on is Black Sage or Cleveland Sage (I knew it when I saw it and now can't remember) 

Now on to the cool stuff.  One of the things Balboa park is famous for is it's collection of ficus trees (that's the fig family) the one in the lower pictures are the stuff of nightmares for some. These are younger versions of the larger, and more famous Moreton Bay Fig that now has a viewing platform surrounding it. These are all over the park and the roots are what people are amazed by.

 


 

This larger picture is the same tree from the other side. Spilling the roots over the retaining wall. There are similar trees in Angkor Wat in Cambodia completely engulfing an ancient temple. 

The only difference is those are aerial roots as well as soil roots. Just amazing.

Meanwhile back in San Diego, CA Roses were in full bloom in the garden!



Did I remember to note the names of these roses...nope, except for a few.
Don't remember which one this is but the following one here is George Burns. There is also a companion rose (though not seen in that bed dummies!) called Gracie Allen. The red and white striped one is not the same rose, will see that one in a bit.
Another beauty that I forgot the name of
This one I will never forget, Sally Holmes. It's a climber and I remember when we got this one in at the nursery the first time. It's more of a pale pink toward the tips of the petals which makes it a nice delicate flower.







This one here is one of my favorite roses for several reasons. It's variegated, has great fragrance and is named after one of my favorite singers, Neil Diamond. Wonderful rose and some day will get to plant it in my own garden.







This was just gorgeous too.

George Burns with a bee

Okay on with the rest of the park, wait...

SQUIRREL!    

 The water lilies were in full bloom and as I showed before in the reflecting pool. There were so many different plants and flowers, lots of people too despite it being a Tuesday. A few small groups of school kids which made me smile.

I didn't walk extensively but did see all the high points for me at least.One of my favorite plants and am most knowledgeable about is camellias

Yes, those are two camellia....trees. Likely about ten feet tall, yes they can get that big. It is summer so they aren't in bloom.Wonderfully pruned up so they give shade but aren't a green wall as some people like to keep them. Underplantings of pink begonias and I believe white snapdragons. (knew I should have made notes)

The other possible reason for pruning these so high is visibility and safety. Like any other large city we have a good amount of homeless people and they tend to hang out in the park. This keep the walkway visible from the main 'street' of the Prado which is behind me.

So places like this are wonderful for seeing how various plants are used together. Despite the above picture not looking very attractive they will likely be swapping them out soon for fall color plants.

One of the lilies in the pond. No spectacular colors but this was one of the prettiest. As I mentioned I have dozens of up close photos of water lilies from the nursery.

This one could be used as a wallpaper on a phone as well.



This is at the end of the pond, used to be a small lawn area years ago. This is a wildflower garden, again a butterfly and bee collection. There was someone standing in front of the signage so couldn't get a picture of it. But look at the variety and yet repeated types so give it a wild meadow look.

  In the background is the botanical building which I will get pictures of another time. It houses some of the more rare and fantastic fern collections as well as unusual shade plants along with specific rotating collections from various garden groups.

So I think I've rambled on enough for this one. I have more pictures of a few things but will post those next time. Lovely day at he park, not too hot, breezy and just enough people to make it feel like a day in the park.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...