Monday, August 23, 2021

Tomato picked and zucchini are still stalled out.

 I thought I would have a bumper crop of zucchini by now, giving them away every day. But nooooo I have this:

 

Although I can tell that when it droops toward the ground it is growing, much like figs do. We will see in the next few days. I still need to get some fertilizer though and maybe a watering can if I get liquid.

Picked the other tomato and discovered one on the other side was ripening as well. I now have four in the fridge.


 Jalapenos are slowing down, I almost threw some of the bell pepper seeds down but held off since it's supposed to be hot this week and I would need to keep it very well watered. Don't have the supplies to do them in seedling tray at the moment.

Just took about 3/4 of the peppers I had in the fridge down to the 'community table' in an envelope marked 'JalapeƱos'. Hopefully someone will want them but in any case I have four tomatoes oh..and I researched what was causing the lines on the peppers and tomatoes.

Just as I figured, it was going too dry then soaking and hot weather. On the peppers it's called 'corking' and is nothing wrong just irregular watering. Kind of like stretch marks but on veggies.

I saw another tomato leaf with mite/thrip damage and brought it inside to get a better look at it. I have the microscope app on my phone and was looking at one section of the leaf. Absolutely miniscule mites but then I saw something more gelatinous moving. It stopped, I refocused, it shifted again then it was too pixelated to see clearly so I changed to my camera zoom. Well in doing that I forgot where on the leaf it was and lost it. Almost like an amoeba crawling around and wish I had one of the usb microscopes to go on my wonderful high def computer monitor. Oh well. It's fun looking at things up close and if not for my eyesight going bad and it needing a college degree in biology and other things I would go into being a bug expert, entomologist.

And here to show why bugs are so fascinating and wondrous, a selection of various beetles..


To give you an idea, that one on the bottom with the sort of V shaped gold and emerald green back? The one with the red antennae? That one is the type we get every year in the summer. They are about an inch long and fly like a bomber plane so easy to catch and bat away. They are called 'Japanese Fig beetles' because they LOVE ripe figs. I know, I saw them just chowing away on some when I worked at the nursery. They also love the flowers of palm trees. I know, I took a picture of them swarming around a flower branch on one. Soo that give you an idea of how big and little some of those beetles are. Oh I've also seen them flying around in the afternoon where I am now possibly going after late summer Jacaranda flowers. Just amazing colors and variety!

Spiders are just as much fun but not going to go there as some of my readers have a delicate disposition and freak out at the sight of them. So bugs are good to a point, not all need to be killed outright, as I related last time with the katydids.

That's all for today folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...