Monday, September 27, 2021

Cloud cover continues, a leak is sort of fixed.


 It's grey and overcast, I actually put on long pants and my henley style hawaiian shirt that is heavier fabric. From what I have seen this weather may continue for another few days. Fantastic! I watered the spots where I put the beans and tried to repair the hole in the hose.


Need more tape!

The zucchini has not made much progress, maybe another few days. Once that fruit is picked those plants are coming out for sure. Get chopped up for compost and thrown on the heap. 












Pretty much done for the season. Same with the tomato and pepper, so likely sometime in October I will be hauling it all up and actually will toss the zucchini plants in the trash, not going to perpetuate that mildew.

I needed the tape so went to HD to get that and look at selections of fertilizers. I knew what they carried but needed to confirm just what would be involved. Barring the 'all purpose' MG fertilizer that is 15-15-15 that I would need to put on every week or so religiously by water, I would need three other organic fertilizers plus compost to really invigorate the beds. They had blood and bone meal (nitrogen and phosphorus) and, if I wanted, toss in some Epsom Salts...yessir magnesium and sulfur right there is great for your garden. So it would cost me about $30 in supplies to get my soil charged up and healthy. Minimum. That is money I need to spend on some needed clothing right now and bills. My EDD payment went through and it is roughly half of what I was getting before due to Pandemic extra dropping off. Plenty of money for food so we will survive.

Gardening is not cheap nor a lazy persons hobby. 

Oh I also saw that bulbs were in. I'm a sucker for bulbs but will not put them in the dirt we have here. Nope, no way no how. They deserve better than that and that means growing in a container on the front porch... sigh. Or not grow them at all...again.

Anyway,  I know from experience that with this cool weather in our area if the wind comes up the clouds will leave and be back to warm sunny days. Next couple of weeks if we're on track from previous years. It's always been warm in October around Halloween, didn't used to be that way but being So. Cal, it's rarely ever rained on Halloween. Cold weather usually does not set in for us until Late December or January. I made the statement years ago that at this rate, we need to change the season start and end dates so Winter starts in October or November and goes till February.

Weather is very fickle for sure, and even as I look out the window the leaves are moving in the breeze just enough that my experience says it will build overnight and we may have clear weather midweek. Will let you know if my 'farmers almanac' brain predicted correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...