Saturday, September 25, 2021

It rained! Moisture and noise from the sky!

 We got a small thunderstorm yesterday about mid afternoon. It was Wonderful! Saw the clouds coming in, wind picked up, heard the thunder... only lasted about two hours and then it was gone. Sadness. No torrential rain, gentle rain that got things wet but nothing in my location that caused issues. No pictures because I was preoccupied with enjoying the change. Temperature was in the low 80's high 70's so could still wear shorts. I miss it already.

So, as a result of not going to the garden yesterday I didn't post. I am about ready to yank the pepper bush and start digging that bed. I have one zucchini coming on and then I think that will be pulled too.

End of season
Full shade by 10 am












Despite there being another two coming on, I'm done with the zucchini. Will likely pick that last one tomorrow. I harvested a double handful of small jalapenos and threw them on the patio table. Told the one landscaper they were there. Hopefully better luck next time. Not too thrilled with the tomatoes right now either. Still small and not going to expect them to ripen any time soon. The bush is mostly greenery and getting just a touch of mildew so I think everything is going in the next week or so.

You can see in the first picture how much room there is already after moving the planter box and aloe. That is all hard dirt. The darker area behind the plants is where I dug it up and watered it two days ago. The front side I chewed up with the trowel to loosen it up and discovered some fine hair roots.


 It's just close enough to the pepper that I figured they were from there. Not going to stress about it honestly, and as they break down it adds a little to the soil. They won't regrow, peppers don't work that way. But it also shows that there's no good size roots spreading out, those are all feeder roots looking for water and nutrients. Which is why it wilted so quickly. Deep water, deep roots.

I have the pinto beans and the bell peppers but, as I've said before, it's likely too late for those and I really really need to amend the bed with more fertilizer and compost first. If I'm here for another year or two that can turn into some really nice soil.  

There are fungus among us as well in the grass! 

 

No he wasn't eating or even paying attention to them. I noticed them and they are likely feeding off the old roots from bushes that were cut down ages ago. That's what they do. More about that later. Lunchtime now and need to get out into the much more enjoyable weather while it lasts.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...