Monday, December 27, 2021

Finally getting winter weather, rain and wind.


 It's been overcast and cold which is good. Northwest has been getting record snow and likely some of the mountains around me got a good snowfall as well. It's a bit late this year but as I noted earlier in this blog and to others years ago, pretty soon we'll have to adjust our idea of 'winter' as the weather patterns change and the calendar and tilt of the planet may be off so our winter down here comes later every year.

I keep watching all these cooking shows and they show and recommend getting fresh vegetables and have your own garden blah blah... sigh. If I had the means to store supplies and the space I would totally do that. Something related to both gardening and cooking, I bought basic veggies that are used in a variety of recipes I do. Celery, onion, carrot and green onions. Going to chop them up (except the carrots, should cook those first) put them in baggies and put them in the freezer. Same thing with the 2 lbs of hamburger, divide it, flatten it in a ziplock baggie and put in freezer. I've never been much for storing things ahead of time in the past few decades but am getting inspired now. The celery and onion is a staple, same with the garlic I'm going to do the same. Put whole cloves in the freezer then when you need it pull one out and use the smaller zest grater for instant fresh grated garlic!

Didn't get out to the garden again as it likely hasn't changed since day before so a few pictures of other things. The pine tree that got knocked over and then put back upright...fell over again due to the high winds the other day. Sigh.

(Reused photo basically the same)

The never ending blowing and piling of leaves from the sycamores goes on as well. They just got most of the piles taken away and we have a storm that dropped an equal amount right back on the ground. 

Rocky trying to figure passage.

 Rocky hates stepping on leaves so seeing this veritable ocean of leaves to cross... not fun. The grass was still trying to recover from the last pile. I even tried to use my foot and make a passage for him along the wall on the left but he said...nah I know a different way around.  Need to remember to grab a few handfuls and take it over to the compost pile next time and maybe give it a toss with the potting soil someone dumped out there earlier in the year.

So many plans on the screen and so little actual energy, time and money to do it. Very good about giving advice and not so good at following it myself. It's all based on a 'perfect' world and still too lazy to do what needs to be done.

Oh a small note while watching a 'cooking/travel' show that is filmed in the North East/Rhode Island and there abouts. The lady that was visiting went 'foraging' with the local expert and chef at the inn she was staying at. He is an experienced forager of edible fungus and they were walking and talking then stopped and realized they were about to 'step on a (whatever orange fungus) in the hummus' in front of them. 

I didn't know whether to laugh or yell at the screen. It's HUMUS! Pronounced hewmus and this supposed 'expert' pronounced it like the edible chickpea dip you find in the store. I could not believe my ears. This is why we have issues when people come to a garden store and get their information from the web or tv. I have corrected a few customers when they pronounced it wrong and they give me a strange look. Listen, I've been in the retail garden business for two decades and know of what I speak. As opposed to some Easterner that is giving you wrong information based totally on their experience where they are.

Sigh.

That's all I have for today. Looks like it might be starting to rain again. Wish I had a rain barrel to catch the free water.


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...