Saturday, February 19, 2022

Got some supplies and not much else.

 Despite being low on fertilizer I decided not to get more while I was getting the stakes and wire for extending the cage.

I got a late start today so will be staking up the tomato later today since it's kind of warm out. 

Cilantro is doing good, radishes seem to be holding up and of course I watered everything. Going to try and keep things wetter this time but also think that the seedling beds should be shaded more. Nothing is coming up in the south bed with the cilantro and it's been two weeks. So lettuce starts and chives will likely be going in that bed.


I'll have pictures of the finished framing next time.

Oh if you remember I took a picture of a pineapple that one of the other residents has in their front area. Well looks like it was ready to pick and no one noticed.

I think it belongs to the lady with the foul disposition so am not going to go knock on their door to ask if I can have it. Such a waste.

I hate to see fruits and edible plants go to waste like that. I've been that way since I was  kid and discovered the flowers in the front fields were wild radish and mustard. We had an avocado orchard to pick from too. That's the kind of yard I'd like to have. A few fruit trees, a veggie garden and some herbs and flowers here and there.

The garden should be pretty and useful as well. Plan for all the seasons and something I'm just now realizing is, don't overplan what you can't handle. I've got three beds and if they were in dirt that could be planted completely it would be just enough. I could do all the beds in that garden but then what would I do with all the stuff that would grow? I would have to give away most of it because I don't have that much room to store. (But then given my lack of success with the zucchini.. maybe don't have to worry about that.)

On the other hand, a flower garden... that is something that keeps on giving and people (who aren't allergic) would always welcome gifts from. I almost bought some bulbs at HD then saw a few selections that made me remember why I don't like shopping there for plants. 

They had Hostas and Peonies. Hostas in my area are okay, they need a lot of shade and hate the summer heat. They will die back in the summer and come back in the winter/spring but we just do not have the conditions or the soil that they like. Same with Peonies. They need a lot more cold than we have here for longer periods of time. Another reason I want to move further north to enjoy those sort of plants more.

The problem with that sort of store is they have one main buyer from one company getting the same things for ALL  the stores no matter where they are. If you want selections that are more suited to your area then go to a smaller nursery. Might be a tad more expensive but you'll be seeing the right things for your area. An example of price difference is a small hardware store had 6' green metal stakes for $5.99 each and at HD they were $3.99. Being on a budget I was apologizing to myself for not supporting a small business but that's why the big box stores are more popular. i have a little family run nursery right up the road, walking distance and have only been there three times and bought something twice. Again, the price on goods is what they need to put it at but the selection wasn't that great either.

Anyway, the idea of having to dig a new garden from grass was something I thought about looking at various houses. One place had no backyard at all but had a small plot of grass in the front and side. The backyard was a two step slope going up behind the home with a line of birch or aspen trees along the ridge above. Not gonna work that hard sorry. The orientation would be okay as far as sun exposure but have to admit I'm not as nimble and well balanced as I used to be.

Work within your abilities and energy always.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...