Thursday, April 28, 2022

Almost didn't get to the garden


 Another wonky day starting out with it being overcast and almost rainy. It rained on the coast and when I went out to Costco (no where near the ocean) we could smell the salty air from the coast. So cloudy means water isn't as necessary but since Rocky didn't get his walk this morning, decided really late to get outside as in it was 4pm.

The pine is being nurtured but is still struggling.  No one has staked it up and the man that planted it didn't try to correct it in the hole. None of us will be around whenever that gets big enough to be a problem.











The tomato is really bad but I wasn't going to yank it that late in the day and decided things can wait for watering as well. It was cloudy half the day so wasn't going to worry about it.











Oddly enough the south bed has more sun than it does earlier in the day, hmmph. the peas are still in full shade though other than that tops of course. the beans and lettuce are doing good and I pulled another carrot that was half the thickness of a pencil and maybe two inches long. They'll be ready in no time and are forming just fine thankfully.











The lettuce behind the potatoes are doing good also and technically needed to water them being so small but I think they'll be fine. The mites are still very evident despite me using the fan spray and hitting as much of it as I could.

I will be pulling it for sure but that's a hard job to do and so wish I had my Foxgloves. Long gauntlet knit gloves with a textured palm side for gripping. I went through about six pairs after we started carrying them at the nursery. Mostly because I kept losing one or both but they are very nice for general gardening. NOT thorn proof but I can handle a thorny stem carefully and they're washable! The ones with the texture are called Foxgloves Grip and are worth the $27 for how good they are.
 
https://cdn.thegrommet.com/media/catalog/resized/product/fill_w-762_h-572_bg-%23ffffff/3/4/3438-CON-100_2.jpg
Not a paid endorsement (unfortunately)

They come in three our four sizes and 8 colors so very easy to get extras. Stupid HD... my gloves were in my locker and they didn't think they were something important. Should have asked for a money card for it. 
Speaking of roses, better picture of the two bloomers:
 
 
And the compost pile is...smaller than it used to be which is good, but also most of it is being worked on by the worms into the existing soil so it's hard to mix it without digging more soil up. I used the hoe and dug up some weeds in one spot to add to the pile.



 Not exactly sure how to fix that pile to be more useable, might need to use the shovel and turn it over completely instead of just using the hoe to pull the sides up on top and mix. There's a LOT of weeds in there I can chop up too. The eggshells haven't broken down yet, likely won't for a long time. 
I wonder if someone's done a garden blog out there called, 'As The Compost Turns'.... ehehhehehe



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...