Friday, April 29, 2022

Another beautiful day

 Just watered today, got out at my usual time. Breezy and warm today but it's a cool breeze and it was a bit nippy overnight. So watered thoroughly but didn't cut/pull the tomato. 

I'm going to be deleting a boatload of pictures from my phone and google due to space running out. If you are looking at page here and it seems something is missing, that's why. I hope that blogger isn't attached to them, always scares me when it says 'delete from all shared devices' that i will lose the picture forever.

Going through my pictures I found when I planted the potatoes and it was on Valentines Day. that's about two and a half months ago.



Apparently it's roughly 80-90 days after planting or when it flowers, whichever comes first.These were 'Baby Gold' potatoes and technically just early Yukon Golds (which are delicious. So they grow faster than say a Russet potato since they're smaller. Just a tick over 60 days at this point so another month and will be rooting around in the dirt for potatoes. Yay!

Guess I'm getting impatient about harvesting since the plants are so big but I've seen pictures of bigger plants for sure. Even if I only get a handful that's fine, don't need a bumper crop of potatoes and still have a bag of the baby golds I bought, should really fix those soon. Also have a red potato in the cupboard so I might cut that one and plant it in the tomato bed.

There is a definite difference between the lettuce growing in the shade and the ones in the sun, same with the peas.





















Just might have to transplant a few of them to behind the potatoes to get more sun.  They're much weaker than the others other than the one that gets more sun than the ones in the back. The beans are coming up well also, the carrots are going to be ready in a few weeks for sure, they're getting so big. 











Pictures were taken after watering on the right so everything is flattened but the lettuce especially was flattened by something before watering and there was a glimmer of snail/slug trail... sigh.  Well this has certainly been a lesson for planting. Won't recommend planting things in the shade if it's constant shade like the back of that bed. I don't think it even gets sun in the early morning due to the building and other fence. Same with the corner behind the compost pile, that corner is in constant shade and I was thinking of what to plant back there if I got to that point. Would have to be ornamental for sure like azalea or camellia or some such. Then again the soil is soooo crappy back there it would take a heckuva lot more work than I want to do. Shade succulents?

I took a picture of the roses but to show the difference between the root stock flower and the one that's actually the variety.











I mentioned previously that the rootstock that is standard is called 'Dr. Huey' have no idea about it but the smell is peppery and they are prone to mildew last I remember. It's only suitable for a rootstock so if you see that coming up around your roses, and the bush is older than ten years and looks a bit less than it should, time to get it out and put in a new variety.

Still haven't figured out what the other rose is that's the single pink, pretty little thing and apparently doing okay in the shade. Can't really search for 'shade tolerant' roses because the other bushes are supposed to be full son but they're shaded as well and doing fine. You just never know with plants. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...