Monday, June 27, 2022

Holding steady, wind is up.

 It's a warm breeze today, almost windy but it's hot. So not so good as for cooling down. We will be buttoning up soon and it's past the mark I would have done it (and as I was uploading the pictures my sweetie came in with the big fan to start the AC).

Things were hot and dry in the garden. The bark is helping but the constant heat makes the peppers wilt by the time I get out there. Not full on but they are not happy. the one at the back has a permanent bend, might have happened when it was little or when I nipped out the buds. If it affects it I'll get a stick and some wire to splint it.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The gopher closed up the tunnel I ran water in yesterday. Puddled immediately and even using a good pointy stick didn't dislodge the dirt.











Plugged it up good, new dried dirt piles at both ends, was not in a mood to use the hose on it today. 











The trench around the seedling is my doing. At first I didn't remember and ran water on it but then backed off because I was drowning the poor plant. Trenches almost make a skull and crossbones, hahaha!

Grasshoppers have made short work of that plant and the grass around it. That particular bed is two onion/garlic (not sure) and the rest is grass and purselane. 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So far the fence bed is okay, I am really surprised the beans aren't up yet. They had a shorter germination than the sunflowers and the sunflowers are coming up first.  I may have buried them too deep and it's taking longer to get to the surface. Still confused on whether those are cucumbers or sunflowers but according to my crude markings, they are all sunflowers coming up.

Instructions said 1 1/2 inches deep and yet you can sprout beans in a paper towel. Might have to just bury some more only a half inch below and cover them with pieces of bark to keep them cooler. Maybe. (92 outside already and projected to be 93... it's 83 in the apartment right now)

So not much else is going to happen, try and keep the plants cool and watered and the same for me.  

Oh when I went to the store to buy some cilantro I noticed that most of the bunches had not only the large leaves but the ferny type leaves of a flower stalk. That means this was a later crop and from here out they either grow in a greenhouse that's temperature controlled or import it from other places. My cilantro gave up long ago and it brings up a point I made before about crop timing.

Onions, garlic and cilantro are all early (cool) season crops whereas tomatoes and peppers are warm season. So if you live in an area where the spring lasts longer or you have a mild summer they might overlap but more often than not, the tomatoes are the last to fruit and the other two are long gone. Luckily onions and garlic are a root crop and can store for a long time, cilantro not so much.

So for now, hoping to plant those big red onions in the fall along with some new cilantro seeds. 

Time will tell.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...