Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Nothing different, weather and garden the same

 It is already 90 outside and it's not even 11 am yet and very little breeze. It's 88 inside because it never really cooled down sufficiently in the apartment last night. So we are buttoned up for the day but have to go back to the store to return something and then will be home for the day.

The gopher is still pushing dirt, the peppers are continuing to put out flower buds and still no beans. 











I'm tempted to take some of the bean seeds and try sprouting them in damp paper towels then plant them. Package says to plant every two weeks until just before frost. Alrighty then, more planting will be done.











I think if I keep pestering the gopher it will stop hanging around so I got the hose on jet and blasted the tunnel entrance where the dirt was piled. I need a longer stick to go all the way through the dirt it might have pushed there.


So if it weren't for the gopher being there that dirt is wonderfully soft and easy to dig and I would through the last of the garden soil in there but not until barriers are installed or it is gone. That latter option won't ever happen. They may reduce their activity in the fall but they never really go away after finding a prime living area. I had a bulb of garlic that half was not usable and I just threw it out instead of crushing it and digging it into the soil. Oh well. I would have to dig it in deep and use a lot more than what I have so will come up with something. Cheap things... multiple metal stakes driven in close? That would take a lot and the cost would be almost the same as getting the shovel. Something that will work that doesn't put me out of a lot of money, time or energy. Chicken wire only comes in large rolls and even though we have cutters, that's a lot more work than I would want to do. 

I need two  3' x 2'and two 2x2  pieces of something to be barriers for that bed.  I priced drainage shovels and they run over $30 no way am I going to buy that even if I was going to return it. Might try to catch one of the landscaping guys to see what they have in their tools when I get what I need. It comes down to my need for a successful and thriving garden and doing whatever necessary or throwing in the towel because it's not being dealt with by the owners. The garden is a 'perk' for the residents, it's not like the actual landscaping and since only two of us are using it, very very low priority. So... still thinking about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...