Thursday, December 1, 2022

Missed opportunity and fall weather

Weather is the same, overcast, slightly breezy and very cool. Yay! The screen trash can was gone by the time I got out there. I thought I heard it being rolled down the driveway in the morning oh well. There was no further dirt disturbed from yesterday.

I got the shovel and dug up the south bed because at first I just used the trowel to scrape the oxalis out of existence. For now. Then started digging and turning the soil over and stopped..I have a shovel for doing this! Went and got the shovel and discovered brown roots and white new roots that looked suspiciously like potato roots. I broke a few of them up and sniffed...smelled like potato. Not going to worry about it really, the gophers can have that if they get in there. 

 In order for that bed to be useful I need to add some barrier at the back. Piece of metal..... pause....the extra panels from the raised bed! I would need a rubber mallet though to pound them in at the back though. Don't know if we have one of those and not going to ruin them with the shovel or a hammer. Will see what I can do.

 

Just a shot of the dirt I threw on the bed and compost. I forgot the scraps again dangit! Will have to try and remember that later.

You can see how even though it's been cool and overcast, the soil dried out rather quickly. We're supposed to get rain sometime but if not I'll have to throw some water on both piles. The garden is still looking dry and desolate though  I have some hopes of a spring/winter planting even if it's in the south bed.

Could I live in this kind of weather full time? Well for longer than a few months at least, maybe. The Northwest is like this for at least nine months of the year. When we went up there in the spring it was 70 or so but lightly raining so cloudy and rain but not cold. They just got their first dusting of snow up there and was icy enough to close some schools but it doesn't last long.

In the meantime... dry brown dirt for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...