Saturday, February 18, 2023

Warmer than I thought and a look back.

 It's always colder in the apartment so I took Rocky for his walk with my jacket on and had to take it off as soon as I got downstairs because it was sunny and not that breezy but the wind comes and goes, rather gusty right now. Another beautiful day though and will have a few more before the next rain comes in.

Compost bucket from dumping the scraps yesterday. Only about a third full at this point and I suspect by the time it gets to the top I'll have worms working their magic in the bottom. The lettuce is looking like weeds at this point, once again forgot to put out any fertilizer for them. My focus was on the jury rigged netting situation and despite what it looks like the soil is still nicely moist underneath the dry surface.

I even looked at the aloe and then looked around to see where I could put it but didn't feel like working that hard right now. I had some serious stretching and cinching to do.

How do actual, competent gardeners use this stuff? I did get the third pole lashed to the top and then secured it to the fence because it was all wibbly wobbly side to side. I tied most of the strings on the sides of one half then attempted to do the same with the other half and ended up about six inches higher than the peas. Sigh.


 They won't be able to grow very quickly at that distance. I remember they took off a lot faster once they were able to grab onto something. I then looked around and saw the tomato cages. Why didn't I just use those? One of them is rather bent out of shape... now that I have the poles lashed and the rigged up netting... ::facepalm::

So after tying on the sides I had to figure out how to get the string down to the level of the soil. What I needed was long weed cloth staples. What I have are sticks and pieces of stiff metal. I was even offered another roll of metal fencing and turned it down.


 So with that done I realized the bees were out and the aloe had two bloom spikes coming up. The aloe needs to stay where it is because it needs the sun. Was going to move it to the other side of the jade but that's all shaded still. Will move it later when the sun's a little higher and make room where the logs are currently on the back wall.
 

I went back in my archives to see when I started this garden and discovered it was May 23, 2021 for the first pictures. The photo on the right was May 24 and closer and later in the day. I will take another side by side considering the time of year and day is considerably different. So in May I will have been working on this for 2 years, doesn't seem like it. Definitely has changed a lot, no more weeds, new beds, it was just looking like an empty lot when I started my gardens. 

One thing you can tell from the difference between February and May is the jade plant. That corner will soon be in full sun and the temperatures will be climbing 20 and 30 degrees during the day by May. Still going to work on that corner for something other than storage and logs. Another planting bed? With reinforcement below of course, it would completely be fallow during the winter since it would be shaded. Oh I also took two bags of the leaves to the dumpsters. I have more than enough mulch material and they were getting in the way.

Will think of something to do, the only thing  I can't do is cut back the jade plant. I hardly ever see anyone else out there and yet one of the tenants told me not to touch it, because she love that jade plant. I promised her I wouldn't get rid of it. There will be a few branches missing here and there slowly over time though. 

Things I forgot to do today: the rubber edging and fertilizer. Dangit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...