Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Weather shift but still comfortable. And then there was one.

Supposed to be in the 80's for the next three days and then possibly rain on Saturday, generally cooling for the remainder of the month and into October.

I decided to plant the sweet peas in cups rather than out in the bed. Because after I cultivated the soil again there were still over a dozen pill bugs coming to the surface.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And then there was one. I'm afraid that smaller strawberry is not going to make it.  Wondering if I should have left it in the shade a bit longer than the other one (which seems to be thriving thankfully). And the pepper plant is wilting and dropping leaves. I think it's overwatered. I moved it to the East end of the bed and won't bother watering it for a few days. 


The mystery (white?) onions have emerged! Yay! Had to move a small chunk of bark/wood out of the way for one of them because I figured if one was sprouting the other one should be and there it was curled underneath. The little green mark is how big that one is that  I noticed first, the one in the back is the one that was curled under a piece of wood. Now the year long wait ensues. I planted two seeds in each cup so will see if all four come up. I  still have burgundy seeds to plant and will get those going really soon to add to that east side.












I used the, still very wet, potting soil to plant the sweet pea seeds in the cups. I realized after pulling off one of the cups from the stack that it was the one I had cut the bottom off. Sigh. Okay, toss that one aside and realized I only had four more cups. Sigh again. Planted all five cups and put them in the shade in the window box. Because they are peas they should really soak first so that really damp soil should be good for them. Then.... realized they need warm damp soil to start germinating.











Before and mid cultivating. I stopped and realized this would be a great time to add some fertilizer so sprinkled to small scoops of it on the bed and went at it with the cultivator. The center of the bed was still very damp but the edges were drying, that's okay. Not going to be planting directly up against the sides anyway.











And after all smoothed out. The lettuce trays will stay on the ground where it's going to be warmer, I must have picked out about a dozen pill bugs just as I stood there catching my breath. The farthest pea cup is the one with no bottom and then realized the bottom of it was over by the planter box and put it under it because... pill bugs. The thyme sprig seems to be doing okay, doesn't look wilted and soil is still damp Have no idea where I'm going to plant it if it does survive. Best case scenario is window box, then where to put that? So should it survive I might put it in a corner of the west bed. 

So yay! More progress made, if the peas get started and emerge as soon as they have a second set of leaves I'll plant them out in their designated places and add some protection from bugs. Same thing for the onions. Then it's lettuce, radish and more onions. That lettuce should be coming up soon. I hope. Apparently the general consensus from the seed company is they don't germinate well in temperatures over 75. Ooops. Will have to see what happens. Not like that's the last of them that I have. Plenty more where those came from and with cooler weather coming up it'll be easier to germinate. Also need to sift some of that soil for them and the carrots and radishes.

So much to do that needs to be done soon. But not too soon.

Oh, a side note on what I said previously about the Chinese Flame Tree (Koelreuteria) planted at my grandkid's school with the cool flowers:

Those are sprouts from the tree growing over the four foot tall juniper. This is why I consider it a trash tree and should be put on the list of invasive species and a nuisance. I'm sure all the maintenance guys are going to do is cut them down, but if they are experienced and have been dealing with this for a few  years, they'll dig down and yank them out.

Okay plant rant done.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...