Monday, January 29, 2024

Beautiful spring weather!

 It is gorgeous today! Clear blue skies, barely a breeze and temps in the 70's. By Wednesday/Thursday it is supposed to rain then clear off for the weekend. That makes garden centers very happy as more people shop there on the weekends.











Almost that dark a blue, just wonderful! The branches contrasting with the blue is my favorite color combo. The camera on my phone always intensifies the blue for some reason. Everything is sharp and saturated.











Grasshopper startled me when I got up to the raised bed. I think it was hanging out on the frame but could well have been considering the potatoes for lunch. It flew off and then tried to go one direction then another, back again to the jade and finally landed under Layla's tomatoes.  Talk about perfect camouflage! By the time I got the hose out I must have startled it so have no idea where it went.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everything looking a bit dry today, warmest today than it's been in weeks so the plants are kind of droopy. The west bed is looking parched and I finally decided to yank that potato. That bed is just not prime real estate for spuds I guess.

 










One spud. Yellow/gold variety and not full grown obviously. I just pulled gently and forgot to dig around to see if there were any others. The lower stem near that potato had a few nubs that looked like they were either going to be substantial roots or more potatoes. So yeah, no potatoes for that bed anymore.The carrots and cilantro are getting really tall! Those carrots may well be ready very soon.

Snail/slug damage. Getting really annoyed with them at this point. The way to tell this damage from grasshopper is snails/slugs are a gastropod literally stomach foot so they eat where they slide and you end up with more internal leaf damage with threads and maybe some 'ledges' (upper right photo) and threads between chew areas. Grasshoppers are a rigid body, they have no flexibility in their thorax/upper body so they can only bend their head so far and there fore only eat on the edges of leaves. I really need to figure out a snail/slug trap that works or get some Sluggo.




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
I took this picture as best I could to show the radishes are putting out true leaves now. Yay! Watered everything really well, still no green onions or more peas coming up. Oh well.

Looks like everything is on track for full speed growing next month. As long as the weather continues on the current trend. I might be pulling the potatoes sooner than later, probably by mid or end of February.

Feeling good about the garden again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...