Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Very late post, got very busy.

 It's supposed to rain in the next 24 hours, when I went out just after dark it was clear as a bell. But it is a nippy 48 outside right now at 11:30pm. It got downright windy earlier so sure as shoot it's going to rain tomorrow.











Yesterday (Tuesday) clear and calm, beautiful blue skies and sun. I didn't bother watering because rain was coming. I assessed the garden again and decided the front potato (down right) just needed to go. It's leaning and crawling along the bed rather than going up and was crowding the Romaine and the carrots.












One lone red spud, about the same size as the other large one I dug up. I am most definitely going to curb my impatience and let the rest of the plants grow more. Again there were small red buds on the stem under the soil so I dug around to replant it and there was a huge fat worm. Yay!  I now am thinking they are definitely coming up from the soil below, which is great.

 










So I replanted the potato plant as I had not pulled too many roots up, hoping it would survive. Unfortunately... it didn't. Oh well.











So out it went and onto the compost pile. I suppose I could have watered it really well and it might have survived but I have more than enough plants for plenty of potatoes. Just look at that Romaine though! I think I might plant some of the other lettuce seeds in that now empty corner after the rain. If it hasn't rained yet by the time I'm dressed and ready in the morning I'll dart out there and sprinkle some in. Going to dump out the other ones I am sure they were probably just too crowded and couldn't grow.











Since I plucked out some of the little seedlings the other seem to be doing better so definitely a crowding issue. A few sprinkled in that corner though should be just fine. I also toyed with the idea of putting one of the cauliflower sprouts there but if it suddenly decided to take off it would be a crowded situation all over.











Radishes in the west bed are also getting true leaves and the Romaine there is also starting to take off. Probably due to the sun shining a bit more and getting longer sunlight as well. I'm concerned about the radishes as some of them are getting long red stems on them. I think they may have been planted too shallow. Will see what kind of crop I get and if there are any really straggly ones I'll yank them for the compost. There is a chance that crop may not bulb sufficiently due to lack of sufficient sun so will see what happens.

There won't be a post for tomorrow due to rain so enjoy the free water and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...