Saturday, April 6, 2024

Back to perfect weather and drumroll please!

 Still a bit on the chilly side but the air is scrubbed clean, everything is washed down and the sky is a gorgeous blue with white puffy clouds just sporadically drifting on the light wind. Almost like a painting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was able to get out briefly yesterday between rain storms but everything was very wet still. The clouds and sky was still very photogenic, as always.

Boy was it cold yesterday! I went out in a triple layer of shirts and thought I still needed a long sleeve jacket. One advantage of having cloudy days is there are no deep shadows so everything gets the same level of light. Brighter for some and not so much for the others, but all temporary.











It was a bird convention when I took Rocky out for his walk. Two doves, a Towhee and a Phoebe all seemed to be congregating in one spot. Birds being what they are, sudden moves and too close for their comfort sets them off so only got a picture of one dove and the Towhee that was up on a balcony railing.

And the sky today. Varying shades of blue depending on the direction you look but just awesome no matter where. Other than the cold being somewhat unseasonal, picture perfect spring weather.

Sweet peas are overtaking the snow peas by a lot. Reminder for next time, plant only two or three spread across that entire trellis. No more edible peas for me.











Big difference 24 hours can make, look at that shadow and the dry soil. It's all only superficial though because it is most definitely damp and good with water below the surface. I need to bring my clippers tonight or tomorrow and cut back one of the cilantro. Need to actually leave both those in the west bed for seed. Will trim as needed.











The lettuces are exploding, hard to tell but those two plants must be about two to three inches high. They're loving the partial shade from the carrots I think. The cilantro in the corner is completely smashed. Not sure if it was from someone or just the rain. Since they haven't got a lot of sun the stems are very weak so I'm just going to pull those since it doesn't look like Dolores is using it at all.

Now for the drum roll:

There are flower buds on the sweet peas!!! Almost every terminal point on a branch is forming flower buds so I expect to have tons of flowers by the end of the month. Just in time for Mother's day yayayayay!

Sweet peas were my mom's favorite flower and before I ever told my daughter that she said they were hers as well. My mom had passed away a few years before she was born so I kind of like to think that's her spirit coming through. I've always liked them as well so maybe it's just a common flower that we all have in common.

I actually love Lily of the Valley but we can't grow that here so Sweet Peas are it. 


The bees were busy in the Indian Hawthorn today. Clouds gone, pink flowers open, you bet the bees are heading right to them. Those flowers smell good also and as soon as I can put a name to the scent I'll mention it.

The rest of the week is going to be just as nice from what I've seen so spring is back!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...