Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Definitely warm, cat in the garden and rain coming

 It got up to 80 again today. Definitely warm and prepping us for summer weather. It was up to 80 yesterday and dropped down to 47 at night. It's supposed to cool down to the mid 60's with rain likely on Saturday and a drop of temperature by twenty degrees overnight. Geeez. Sounds like my hot flashes.

I was in bit of a rush today so not too many pictures but I got Rocky out in the afternoon yesterday and he investigated the garden.

This is the dumping area for that soil I got. It's an absolute mess and they're going to be sorry if we get any decent rain on the weekend. There's clay ish soil on the right around that flax, the rest are piles of potting soil that are in varying states of having been watered down. Rocky was examining the area because it wasn't like what he remembered.











And a whole root ball of a dead jade plant just dumped there. I have to look away and keep repeating the mantra, 'not my garden, not my problem'.

 












What made him suddenly interested was the spotting of a lizard so he had to check out everything else to see where they went. The chives are flowering which is good, he wasn't the least interested in eating them thankfully but not surprising.











He wanted to go behind the raised bed but I convinced him not to. He also investigated the wood pile because that likely had all kinds of lizard smells on it.

 










I got out there today after noon and it was very dry, down at least an inch but I was in a bit of a rush due to having food cooking upstairs. I'm really proud of those chives and I would recommend them to anyone who wants an easy growing 'onion' other than green or bunching types.

 










I had to water the beds down twice it was so dry. The lettuces will likely be ready to harvest in another week. That Romaine is at least a month before the leaves are big enough to pick and that cauliflower.... I just don't know anymore.











So I did bring my clippers with me to trim back the peas but two branches broke off neatly without any issues. They were the yellowest ones on the left side of the trellis and likely the oldest ones so that cleaned up the peas good enough. You can see in the upper right photo where they're missing.

So it was in the compost for those and a full bucket of scraps from the kitchen. Compost buckets are getting full again. I need an area the size of that barked area just for a compost system. Once again I have to remind myself to not make anything very permanent as this is an apartment complex not my own home.

Have consigned myself to not having a place of my own so have to live with restrictions. At least I have a garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...