Thursday, April 11, 2024

Not much happening, no clouds yet.

 Waiting for the wind to come up. It was barely breezy yesterday and same thing today. Clear sky to the horizon, which means cold at night and blazing hot in the day. It's just after noon and already 80. Just a taste of what's coming in two months. Not looking forward to it for sure. Tempted to put my shorts on today.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tried to get macro shots of bees in the flowers but they move too fast.  Had to adjust the photo of the tree because the HDR tends to darken the sky a bit too much.











I was taking the picture of the full garden and smelled a wonderful floral then turned around. Yep, lemon is blooming but not as much as it was last year.  It needs to be cut back again so looks like I'm getting my clippers out this evening and giving it a trim.










Chives are growing like crazy. Two days ago those planter ones were hacked back almost to the ground and there's already leaves three inches long.  Layla 'borrowed' two of the broken tomato cages I left out for someone else. Oh well. I don't know what she did with the colored ones she had before. I didn't touch them and they aren't in her beds.

When onions start going they are going full bore. Even the tiny bulb ones are growing faster so if those survive I'll have two onions by the fall. Honestly. Onions, potatoes, leeks and cauliflower/broccoli are for people we dedicated beds just for those crops.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Speaking of growing like crazy, the sweet peas are edging closer to the top of that fence. Wish I had bolt cutters to cut the top off that trellis so it's not looming over the fence and I could use that for another bed. But those sweet peas are just going crazy! I think I'm only going to put two tomatoes on that this year. I technically have room for six peppers in that bed but with the onions on the left I'll just stick with four. 

According to the rules of gardening you aren't supposed to plant tomatoes where you planted them the previous year. I'm just breaking all the rules aren't I? The reasoning is in the ground you could be attracting nematodes and both plants use the same nutrients and can pass diseases between them being in the same family. Peppers and tomatoes are actually companion plants, it's potatoes and tomatoes that are the same family that can cause issues. So I'm good there. I recovered two of the strawberry containers like what I'm using for the tomatoes and peppers so I might fill one half way with soil and drop some more pepper seeds. I would like to grow another cucumber but there's honestly no room left unless I go vertical which would need that top section of the trellis cut off. Or really really sturdy stakes and use the chicken wire.

I make do with what I have and still have the need for more. Wonder if I can ask one of the guys or 'Mike' if they have a cutter I can borrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...