Tuesday, April 30, 2024

More of the same weather, and a bird sang to me

 It was hazier today and weather says it should stay in the mid to high 60's with lows about mid 50's. Still nippy but that sunshine warms up the soil really fast. Air temperature doesn't matter as much to plants, and seeds especially, what counts for them is soil temperature.











Yes, this is the same view because I was seeing the difference between HDR and without. There really isn't that much difference. Was hoping the non HDR wouldn't be as intense colors but really not. I think I was getting a picture of just how pale blue the sky was toward the south.











Everything was looking rather dry so watering happened. As long as the temps stay below 75 those cauliflower should do okay. That squash is about ready to get put in the raised bed since I've seen nursery plants that size being sold.

Tomatoes are looking more purple than green which is not good. There's another pepper coming up in that container and the tomatillos and peppers are coming up really well. Unfortunately they've kind of gone all over the place so I'll have to be extra diligent and pay attention to what the leaves look like as they get bigger.

I think I saw some green in the black round pot, will check tomorrow but likely not get a chance to post until late like today. I wish I had written a tag for those plants in the long containers. I know tomatoes and peppers were in one, fish peppers and tomatillos I think in the other and more peppers. Did I mention I wanted a lot of peppers this year?











 

I put the squash in the middle of the bed and decided that it would be fine there. Two or three peppers on either side and maybe green onions in the front. Can't think of anything short for the summer to put in the front of that bed. I pulled a good handful more of the sweet peas, tried to get as high as possible for those burgundy and purple ones. I added a few more to that handful after the picture and had enough that I gave away a third of the bunch to two different ladies I saw. So many flowers! No white yet, just pale pink but that's okay.

Maybe basil? That's the only thing I can see to plant the next two months. Maybe just leave the front open for easier harvesting.That category of 'Greens' is rather vague because spinahc, cilantro and lettuce are all greens. I seem to be right on time for my lettuce, peppers, tomatoes and squash planting. Everything is subjective of course, we had a longer spring than usual and so seeds weren't sprouting as quickly. I had started the tomatoes and peppers indoors last year and they took off, this year I chanced it outside and due to cool nights and cloudy days last week keeping the soil temp down, they were poking along. This week will give them a shot in the roots most likely, would be nice to have some fertillizer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 I don't know why cilantro flowers make me so intrigued. I love the form of them and it's very similar to the Queen Anne's Lace which I have never grown but have always loved the symmetry. There's a hydrangea called Lace Cap which is another very pretty flower. Yes I  know there are four flowers in the wild and all look very similar with three being poisonous.

And now my favorite wild songbird decided to check out the satellite dish bracket for a possible nest site. Or maybe was staking it out for territory but this just made my day. Right outside my window singing his little birdie song.


 Wonderful Purple House Finch. Just cannot help but smile hearing his song.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...