Monday, July 22, 2024

First squash! Short post.

 Let's see how this day goes, shall we? It is still hot as heck, but started a little cooler today.

I decided to pick the squash because you know how they get big so fast. But it looks like those other three are no go. They're a darker yellow at the stem then fade off, the one I picked is a bit darker yellow than the picture shows but now thinking I should have left it on another day.

The jalapeƱo recovered from the wilt mostly so I suspect it was from the heat yesterday. The leaves on the squash are bigger than my head I swear and yet still no pill bugs are pestering anything. I wonder if they moved on or it's too warm and not enough for them to eat? I've only ever grown the cucumber, onions and tomatoes in this bed so I'm thinking I was dealing with a huge nest hatching last year. I removed a lot of bugs but I'm sure there's still some in there. Can't wait to get more soil at the end of the season.

I'm envious of all the people that are harvesting bucketfuls of veggies right now. I had my hands full with the tomatoes last year and I will be more diligent next year and start my seedlings sooner and indoors. I was harvesting tons of tomatoes this time last year. Ah the vagaries of gardening, it's combination of soil, fertilizer and weather but most of all, timing.

I hope there's enough summer left to get tomatoes off those bushes. I am not picking off buds on any of the plants now, just letting them do what they want.

I will just bet when it starts cooling down a little the tomatillos and tomatoes are going to go off like fireworks.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...