Thursday, July 4, 2024

Happy 4th of July! Such as it is.

 The weather, as expected was hot, it is n ow 9pm and various booming and popping is going on. AC was on most of the day and it only got up to about 86 but of course, too hot for us. Rocky is hiding in the bathroom undersink cupboard until things quiet down in an hour.

No other pictures that are pretty other than this rose so it gets a reprise for the thumbnail. And now for the garden news.











There are actual flower buds on the squash! Most definitely male flowers as usual so not going to be jumping for joy or pulling them off. Crossing fingers and invoking St. Fiacre no damage yet for the plants, everything seems to be growing just fine. There are more flowers on the tomatillos and I think one will actually fruit. Oh and the smell of those plants are just like the wild black nightshade rather than like a tomato or pepper. I love the spacing on the branches and leaves, they make a wonderful shade pattern on the ground too!


The rose was not improving and in fact was getting worse so I made the decision to pull it. Last one of the bunch sadly but it was a free plant and I was not as diligent about care as I should have been. So, in went the strawberry. I took a small bit of ground soil and mixed it in with the potting soil but forgot to add more fertilizer. Oh well. If this one starts going south I'm going to have to get some fresh bagged soil and dump the other stuff into the compost buckets.











After I watered everything I noticed that planter cup the strawberry was in, wasn't draining. At all. Wow. I will have to fix that problem before I split up the tomatoes and peppers for giving away. 

Speaking of peppers. I saw a post on FB from San Diego Seed Company about their seed club and commented that if my garden was big enough I would enroll in that club. I then went on to tell them about the Rebel Starfighter tomatoes and have them check it out for next year. Their response was 'Oh  ooh oh! We're on it!'. Because I remembered they were sci fi/Star Wars geeks like me and knew they would appreciate that tip. I can only hope they give me a packet of the seeds in appreciation but knowing they test varieties and then have to grow enough for production get production permission and all that, that's a couple of years down the road for sure. 

I almost stepped on a baby lizard leaving the garden today! Little tiny thing about an inch long, good thing I always look down and watch my step. I hope it was okay because I almost lost my balance trying not to bring my foot completely down on it. I looked around, you know how fast they can move, and couldn't see it. Checked the bottom of my shoe just to be sure, didn't see any smudge on the pavement either so here's hoping it got away clean.

That's it for today. Likely will skip tomorrow unless something big  happens.

Stay safe!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...