Monday, July 1, 2024

It's hot, critters around and flowers blooming.

 We try and get our outings done before the heat but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Same with checking on the garden. Thankfully it cools down by twenty degrees in the night so it's not so bad the next day. It's actually pleasantly comfortable in the shade early in the day with the breeze blowing.











Blue skies, green trees sun shining, sounds pretty idyllic right? We aren't even close to the true heat or summer yet.











Something is doing some serious chomping on the big tomatillo, not touching the little one though. Very odd but it's still surviving. I actually saw fruit forming on the big plant, yay!











So odd things trying to grow. Another squash seed germinated right at the base of the other one. I left it alone yesterday and the day before but today I decided it was not going to survive and one plant was enough for me. Also.... a freaking carrot is growing with the cilantro! It has to be one left over from the spring when I sowed some seeds back there. I'm going to leave it and see what happens. Then there's that larger leaf whatever along that back edge. Honestly no idea whether it's a random weed or something from me. I also realized a mistake in planting seeds behind the tall tomatillos. Very hard to get to them.


Evening a few days ago and then today. The squash is certainly growing and so are the other plants FINALLY! As much as I hate having an extended summer, this is one time where I need it with how late everything is growing.











Critter protection is working of course, for the larger four footed types. All manner of bugs getting on the oregano and other plants. Oh, and what I thought was brown spotting on the oregano from overwatering...it was caterpillar damage in addition to the leafminer. Not as worried about that, and of course the wilting in the middle of the day happens and is normal. I do not skimp on watering that's for sure.

Other critters. Seems the gopher is still in the garden which makes me nervous about that south tomatillo bed and wonder if I did encounter a failed tunnel the other day. And as I was leaving today and thought 'I haven't seen any lizards yet', there it was. Scurrying along the wall ahead of me so had to take care and not move a lot or fast to get a picture. They seem to favor that area likely because it's cooler than the north side of the garden in the log pile. I meant to water the logs for them and forgot.











Roses are re-blooming at least. I was walking Rocky at the time so couldn't get close or good angles. It's about time to separate all the seedlings in the cups too. I am out of room to put things and don't have soil or containers enough to plant them. So separating and then putting them up for trade will be happening soon.

Until then, staring out at blue sky through a dirty window and screen. Fan is noisy but it's cooler than outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...