Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Another scorcher and new digs for Manny

 But not as bad as the next two days. I think I actually got a bit of a tan on my walk today. We only just opened up and turned off the AC half hour ago at 9:30pm. It isn't going to cool down sufficiently until after midnight tomorrow.

Yet the garden persists.











92 degrees in the shade just before sunset and the caterpillars are in a second wave now, there were bits of leaf and frass all under the tree even worse today. I forgot to bring down the broom and dustpan, need to set a reminder for that as long as they aren't going to water the lawns.










 
 

Busy bee in the tomatillos earlier today. There was also a few gnats or smaller bees or something buzzing the flowers as well. So they are being pollinated naturally yay!


I was out in the garden early today due to schedule so morning light on the absolutely destitute tomatillos. I have no idea why they look so horrid other than maybe they get the reflected sun off the wall and it's just baking them. The raised bed tomatoes are looking haggard even after sun was behind the trees. The fruit is growing nicely and the soil is staying moist watering every day at least. The fish pepper has two baby tiny fruit and the poblanos are doing well also. I can't seem to get jalapeƱos to get any bigger than about two inches.  They're all still green but just don't seem to be getting any bigger.

I sprayed the bushes so Manny would move around and he was practically right there in full view. Given the condition of those bushes I decided to try and catch him to move him to the green and lush ones in the west bed.











I used one of the pots and got him to climb inside then held one of the branches down inside the pot for him to grab onto. Will see if he starts to change color as I've read that they can do that depending on their environment. If he turns the same green I'll never find him again!

This is in preparation to pull those other bushes out and haul them to the green waste. I watered down the compost buckets a little tonight and the log piles knowing the poor lizards are probably sweltering even in the shade. Wouldn't be surprised if they skittered across the dirt to go sit in the cool mud.

That little plant I rescued from behind the tomatillos? I don't think it's a zinnia, it looks like it might be tradescantia 'Small Leaf Spiderwort' that has small white flowers.  Where it came from is unknown but considering the gophers used to run there, it may have come from their poop or nest material. It can be considered a pest plant so I may have to dig it out again when it gets cooler and put it in a pot. I have a potato to contend with that's likely lying in wait under the soil in that spot.

So the ragged tomatillos will come out tomorrow maybe, it's going to be so hot so quickly I may have to wait until the weekend but at least Manny is moved and I feel better about pulling them up. Apparently tomatillos can ripen on the plant even after you cut them but right now, the ones that are filling the husk are only about a half inch across. Not worth it. 

What am I going to plant there when those are out? Nothing unless I can get some more soil. If I get more soil, it's cilantro baby..... but lettuces will have to wait for another month. In fact everything will likely hold off until October due to the weather.

Remember when hot weather like this happened in August? Even July? Yeah I've mentioned that before.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...