Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Forgot to water last night

 They all survived but didn't get out to water until noon.











The sunflower on the corner is still doing fine, couldn't tell if the small nub in the middle was any bigger. I also took the beans out to plant them, they likely won't survive but they would die just as fast if I kept them in the bag until I could get some potting soil.











I decided to put them in the shadier spot in the south bed, watered it thoroughly and hydro-cultivated along the edges.











It certainly is amazing after watering that much and the corner on the left still was only wet about a half inch down. In order, back left, center back, back right and center front.





















Hard to tell but the biggest one I put in front between the cucumbers. I might just push some more seeds in the mud tonight or tomorrow just for insurance. It has been a rotten year for planting success. The soil is certainly wet enough but the sun is going to be brutal which is why I buried them pretty well and just had a little bit of the sprout showing. IF they survive to transplant size I'll think about moving them but there are no guarantees on any of the beds these days. 

The house where I have to get the free mulch is a bit further away than I thought, about 15 minutes and not in my neighborhood which is what the app is supposed to be. It's called 'Nextdoor' for a reason? The guy said come by any time don't have to make an appointment. With my luck by the time I get there it'll be mostly gone.

I never ate the peas I picked and took a look at them and they were sprouting in the bag in the fridge. Sigh. How do you maintain a garden and eat what you pick when it's just you and one other? Guess I need to get more creative and (insert word I can't remember that is extroverted/intense/involved) using the veggies I do manage to grow. 

That is straight up mud in that bed. I could add a little lime to it and I could make bricks. There are areas of San Diego that have absolutely verified adobe clay the early natives and settlers used for making bricks. When you encounter that in your soil, there is no helping it and you go to above ground containers or tall beds. The other bane of the southwest is caliche which is quite literally natural cement from sedimentary rock. There are experts that have been able to garden in it but honestly not worth it if there are options.

I'm lucky I only have silty clay muck. Heavy amendments and it's okay dirt to grow things in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...