Thursday, July 28, 2022

No watering needed.

 Hooray for mulch! These are all pictures from yesterday because I forgot my phone when I went to check on things this morning.











I don't know where the tree was they cut down but this was definitely a Norfolk Pine. The other half of that pile was larger bits and chunks so stayed on this end for my collection. It had a fragrance but nothing bad, I haven't looked up to see whether mulch from that tree is detrimental to growth but I don't think so even though it's in the conifer family.











So, watered thoroughly to the point of puddles as ya do. Then tried to use the shovel in the bag of mulch and it worked for a little bit but I just gave up and poured it carefully on the areas.

I put about an inch or two around all the beds, even the empty one and watered thoroughly. It took a bit because no matter whether it's mulch or dirt it will only go on the surface. I had to really flood the mulch before I was satisfied it was wet all the way through. 











It isn't a very much lighter color than the dirt itself and has varying bits and pieces so when it comes time to replant I can actually dig some of it in (I did a few handfuls more around the peppers and sunflowers in the corner). Sifting would be ideal of course getting the larger bits and the branches out before turning it under in the soil at the end of the season. I'm now looking at those branches and wondering if I'm wrong about the identity of the tree....the 'needle/leaves' are tight to the stem. Will go look at the one in the lawn. I tried to do a Leafsnap ID and I have the family right for sure. Right in the middle of the picture on the right you can see a short stem that has the leaves sticking out so I have the right tree ID.

Hard to tell in that left picture but I moved aside the top half inch to check for water penetration and nope. Dry as a bone which is why watering before and after is crucial for keeping the soil moist.
 
That cavern is the tunnel I discovered and then flooded it well. Just like the other tunnel the water just ran through with no back up. I'm leaving it open like that just to see if the little bugger is still using it. If it is, there will be dirt pushed into the hole from one direction or the other. Those two pictures you can definitely see the difference between watered and not watered mulch.
 











I used most of two bags, that small pile is what was left of the second bag, the third I put in the electrical closet which I might move to the corner where the folded chair is sitting. No one has used it likely in years so it will go in the closet. 

The beans are alive and kicking yay! They're all growing and with consistent moisture in the soil I think everyone is going to do much better. As long as the gopher stays away. That was one thing that I worried about, the mulch would hide any mounds or holes of activity. Apparently NIP (you know what I mean) is not too toxic for dogs and cats, and doesn't seem to have any detrimental effects on plants so yay!

I told the new manager what I was doing and all she said was to not have the mulch piled up. She likely thought I was getting the big 2cu ft bags of mulch. I could probably dump the rest of the mulch in that corner and it would improve the area immensely and no one would bat an eye. I don't think the cats would like that mulch either as coarse as it is. My only other concern is the beans and cucumber crowding each other out. Time will tell.

Yay for mulch!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...