Tuesday, August 9, 2022

It rained a bit overnight, not enough.

 It was drizzle for us but apparently further east it was a downpour. Such is out luck. Not enough to soak the ground and likely made my car look even worse with all the dust on it. Washed the leaves and dimpled the soil. That's about it. Weather is going to be in the high 80's to 90's for the next two weeks. yay. It's summer. whoopee. ::read that with deadpan lack of enthusiasm::











The smaller cucumber has a tendril already and my stakes are all being used. Good thing I decided to organize the tomato cages. I almost went to the gardener mowing the lawn and asked him to dump the bag of clippings in the corner of the garden, but changed my mind. I would need more Spanish to talk to him intelligently.

I had to reposition some of the tendrils so they were hooked back on the stakes. The wind had picked up a bit and blew it around. As little as I have and with so many setbacks, I am still proud of what is growing and thriving.
Need to bring my clippers out next time to cut the pepper off. There's another few on there and if I cut the larger one those will have more energy. Which reminds me I need to add more food around them.
Two more fresh holes, or rather holes re-opened. They are having a blast in that bed and honestly, thanks for the digging, makes it easier to move things around later.

I was walking back to the apartment and then stopped to turn around and go organize the cages as I had planned. They are a mess for sure. Had to shake off dead plants, straighten, detangle and stack what I could. No two are the same, especially that one that looks like someone just stepped on it.
 
After straightening, can't tell but one of the bottom rungs is broken away from a leg and one of the top rungs in one spot as well. It's still useful but just not balanced. See that 'horse weed' (my name for it) on the right? I had to get the trowel to dig that out due to soil compaction. Oh to get a tiny mantis cultivator in there and level everything.
 
Final result, all stacked and the weed gone. The ground was so uneven I had to shift and find the right spot to put them. That's partly my fault for trying to make a compost pile but just ended up with compacted dirt. I also had left some of the green wire on one of them and had to detangle that but it's all done, all pretty now. Well, all done.

I keep acting like this is my own personal garden because no one else (other than 'Lyla') is taking any notice of it. What do you expect with a bunch of sept/octogenerians as tenants? Some of them can't get around without a cane or walker and others sit in their apartment and smoke five packs a day and leave dishes out for days at a time. Others do have jobs but have no interest in gardening. On lady downstairs and across takes care of the little patio of plants in front of her place. I was out the other evening and she had just finished watering and I said, 'wonderful time of day to be out gardening' she mumbled something not sounding enthusiastic and I went upstairs. So yeah. This time of year we're all buttoned up keeping cool and not moving around much. 

I got my exercise at least. I have something to call a hobby and it gets me in the sunshine soaking up Vitamin D and somewhat fresh air (the mower needs a tune up badly). Oh but the air last night was wonderful! I actually felt relaxed and slept better than I have in the past two weeks.

Fresh air, exercise and a good nights rest does wonders.



 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...