Friday, October 14, 2022

Not even close to being hot today

 It's only going to be in the low 70's, 71 according to the weather app so this gardener pulled out her long pants and a heavier shirt to wear. Looking further down the days it's going to hit 90 next week so I'm getting the raised bed set up this weekend for sure.












Gloomy? Perhaps, overcast for sure but I'm taking what I can get at this point. Despite the look of the clouds if any moisture leaks from them it will be a fine spray. The fall color of lantana and some mini mums in a neighbors planter. The mums are a bit brighter than in the picture, pink/lavender, orange and yellow.











Hard to see but one of the gardeners yesterday took a rake to the path. I'm fine with that, don't need the leaves really for what I'm doing. So with the combination of cool weather and determination, on with the first stage of a new garden.


 

I had enough for a triple layer of mesh. The holes are an inch so I didn't want to take any chances with a smaller rodent slipping through. It's not 100% triple layer due to the holes lining up here and there but it's better coverage overall. My only concern is the long edges because the width of the frame is 24" (give or take 50mm according to the directions) and the mesh is 24 also. Since it's tripled over the edges aren't exact and offer a bit of protection on the sides. Even if some enterprising and lucky rodent makes it through, they are going to go through logs then whatever coverage I have on top of that before they get to the soil. I'm good.
I added the logs to keep it flat and if the weather is like this tomorrow I'm going to bribe my sweetie into helping put the frame up. 
Never did get to HD to see what the price of screen or mesh was and am not going there on the weekend so next week it is for more supplies.
 



The peppers are looking hopeful, only one dropped off that was tiny but the bigger ones I'm still thinking won't make it to full size. Better luck in the new bed next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...