Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Determined to do something in the garden

The weather is again gorgeously breezy with clear sunny skies. Perfect day to get out and do something in the garden.

I started collecting scraps from the kitchen again for a compost pile because I realized I have a nice makeshift containment idea. The plastic border that was around the previous bed.


Not a perfect solution but I don't need a huge container for the amount of scraps I collect. Currently there's apple peel some paper towel, a cilantro bunch that was not useful to trim, potato peels and strawberry tops and bits. Perfect combination. I have some green apples in the fridge I need to eat so there's more apple peels there.

I formed the border into a stacking circle and put some leaves in the bottom as a start for the 'brown' layer. I have plenty but won't over use that. So either later today or tomorrow I'll take my compost collection down to put on the pile.The ground is uneven under that and it's got gaps but that's okay, it needs air circulation. I toyed with the idea of asking to put a notice on the board for anyone with kitchen scraps (no meat or fat or other protein) to just take it down to the garden. I realized that would be about as successful as getting anyone else in the complex to get outside for no particular reason than to get some fresh air.

Refreshing my memory about what goes in compost I saw coffee grounds...totally forgot! My sweetie makes coffee every day in small single cup measures so perfect for putting in my small pile. 

Here's a list of the different categories:

Browns: Dried leaves, twigs and certain papers, tea bags (n/a)

Greens: vegetable and fruit waste, grass clippings and coffee grounds

And the not solid, water.

It also mentions hair and fur! I forgot that was acceptable, it takes a bit longer to break down of course and honestly not going to put my cat fur in there. That's larger composting than I need.

Done properly with the right components I should have some decent compost in about 30 days. Once it's started I need to keep it moist, which judging from how damp the lower level of the leaves are, should not be a problem. I may end up moving the compost ring to a more level spot closer to the corner.

Doesn't look like I did anything but I scooped off two bags and a bucket full of leaves off the top of the bed. I need to remove almost all of it unfortunately. I was afraid this would happen and should have told the gardener to never mind. Oh well. I also considered just piling them up in the corner over the logs but it would look messy and not achieve anything.

That green bin is the 'compost' container for when they do the leaves and such I think. That's about how  much he put in the bed I bet. Next time I hear them mowing I'll grab a bag and go down to get some clippings. They don't mow as often in the winter months but that's fine. I only need a few handfuls for the small pile I have.
So some progress at least but still no money for actual soil.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...