Saturday, January 28, 2023

Angels do exist in friends

 A friend has gifted me with the soil I needed as well as other monies for taking care of some bills. She and I have known each other for a very long time and we were roommates together. I consider her my soul mate friend we got along that well despite her being old enough to be my daughter. She has helped me more times than I can count and am thankful to have her in my life. She knows we appreciate her and she knows I loved her when we were both struggling and still love her.











We didn't get home again until after 4pm and I noted there were clouds moving in, she said yeah it's supposed to rain for the next three days. Sure enough, I checked and we have a high chance of rain, instead of putting off filling the bed I did it tonight. The rain will water it in really well and compress it a bit.Three bags of 2cf was perfect!  I also got some garden netting (trellis type) and a package of green onion seeds. I bought Roma tomato and Cilantro seeds the other day at W-mart when we went shopping. It's still cold and wet weather so lettuce, onions, cilantro and will see about other stuff that I have. The tomatoes may have to wait a few weeks and Roma's are determinate so don't have to worry about them vining too much.


The raised bed is in more sun than the south bed so radishes and carrots might do better. I think the soil is too rich for potatoes, they do better in sandy soil. Might have to do a nutrient test on that soil for NPK levels because too much nitrogen is bad for root crops but great for leafy stuff. 



 

Well according to the seed packets it's too early for cilantro and tomatoes for sure. Onions can be planted January to April, Cilantro is Mar-May and Aug-Oct. So there's overlap there for those two then the tomato is almost the same as Cilantro. Which works out for making salsa and sauces but they don't count on the heat of the summer making it bolt so spring and late fall are best for that. Of course I'll save any seeds that the cilantro creates for either coriander seed or seed for the fall. Need to see if I still have some peas since I have the stakes and netting now.

So looks like March is planting month with maybe doing the lettuce first as it is already coming up in the ground right now in the shade. I can imagine what the radishes and carrots will do in the sun!

I am so excited to get planting now! Thank you to everyone who has helped me on this journey of a real garden bed!

 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...