Sunday, May 28, 2023

Busy yesterday and the day before so catching up.

 I had a busy day yesterday and the next day and...yeah. Didn't get to the garden until later. Wasn't in a mood to post so here it is three days later. Weather is wonderful as usual, cleared off by noon and was still clear around 5pm. Memorial Day weekend is usually full of other things than gardening but that is what I have today and tomorrow. That also means no school pick up on Friday so no pictures from my usual walk.

















Good news/bad news... good news the wonderful bright pink epi flowered and is the same as the one over at the gazebo. Bad news...someone cut all the flowers off the rose bush. ALL of them. That's just rude and inconsiderate really. Don't care if they were taking them for some memorial, it's public space and I only took one to leave the rest for others to enjoy. Someone else thought otherwise.
 
It's hard to tell but that cilantro is leaning over toward the camera. As I said before, the wind circles through from that direction and they're tall enough to just bend with it. I could likely pull about half what's there and still have enough for seed next year.
I actually needed some cilantro for dinner and had to run down and pick some leaves. Still haven't figured out how to dry it to use later.

The onions are almost long enough to pull. Again I would have to figure out how to freeze dry them or something to keep them until needed.  I dug into the soil to see how wet it was and it was good but with as warm as it was today, I watered anyway.

The pepper plants have not been happy. Barely growing and showing signs of stress one way or the other so I put two of the cups where they would be planted two days ago. Today I looked at the one left by the wall and it looked worse and one was wilted so I pulled them and there's hardly any roots. I think they rotted.
I also pulled one of the garlic the other day and forgot I tossed it behind the flower box. Just a single bulb but it was in a spot that was being shaded by all the other plants in the bed. It just wasn't growing.

So today I pulled the other cup of peppers that didn't look good and that is the roots on them. None of them are rooting out much compared to the tomatoes. I decided to toss those and then plant the last two with the tomatoes in the south bed. Crossing my fingers they survive.
 
Again forgot to add fertilizer I think I still have some because I don't remember throwing the bag away. If these two don't survive I'll have to figure out how to get some pepper plants to put in there. 
The peas are done.
The picture shows better how much the stalks of cilantro are leaning. I'll be pulling the pea plants tomorrow (hopefully) as I just picked the last of the peas today. Not much left on them and they are showing signs of finishing up. Hope that lettuce doesn't get displaced in the process. There's still hope for planting beans there I suppose.

The tomato is slowly inching up the trellis really well. I like that idea for tomatoes better than a cage, at least for determinate types. It works better when you can get on both sides of the trellis though as I've discovered with the peas in the situation I have. Between the jade plant in the way and the buckets and logs, it's hard to get back there to see what's on the fence side as well as trying to pick in the middle.

If I had stopped and thought about the size of my areas, and knew I could configure the raised bed any way I wanted, I would have made a shorter narrow configuration for the south bed. As I said, if the Jade and logs weren't in the way it would make getting around the bed easier but it's still a 4 x4 rather than 2x5. 

The compost is filling again since we got some oranges and peppers from the food help. I've now got cucumbers and romaine lettuce and some tomatoes so lots more veggie scraps going in the bucket. Wish I could cover it though, the flies are really congregating there, which is to be expected when you have raw veggie and fruit scraps just laying in the open. I still need a small tarp or a large yard bag to dump it out on. OR another bucket to put it in. Which may well happen anyway. I just might combine the two mulch buckets into one so I have an extra bucket. Yep, that's the ticket. I'll have an empty bucket all the time and the compost in one and mulch in the other.

 But this still means I need to dump the mulch and leaves out to mix them. Will figure it out.




 




 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...