Tuesday, May 30, 2023

More catching up and the clouds never left

 It actually misted overnight. The pavement was speckled and patchy with dampness and when I took Rocky out around 11 it was still misty. Not good weather for a traditionally sunny day to start the summer. Still breezy and cold outside with possibly more dampness on the way.

As you can see by the light level and damp soil it was very much overcast and cool weather. Lots of picnickers and beach people likely canceled plans today. For me, it's another trip to the garden to make sure everything is still standing.

I swear that tomato crept up another half inch from yesterday and the cilantro is leaning over even more due to the breeze coming up the garden. Once those plants are done it'll be easier to see the tomato behind it and whatever else I'm going to put on that trellis after the peas.
No, I didn't pull the peas nor did I toss the compost. Got a late start and just not the right weather for airing out compost.
 
Nothing ate the peppers and they looked none the worse for transplanting, the weather is actually a bit too cool for them. On the other hand something is nibbling on the tomato gosh darn it. I need some BT or Spinosad for that.

Today's scrap dump. Lots of orange peals, avocado skins, egg shells, one of the pea plants I pulled yesterday and cantaloupe rinds. Next scrap dump is going to be orange skins, potato, cucumber and tomato along with more cantaloupe and some romaine ends. Yum! Oh and Jon got more coffee so some of those are in there too. 

I decided to cover it up with the bag because the gnats and flies were really bugging me. I'll have to find a lid for it at some point that has ventilation screen. If it's warm enough tomorrow I'll do the bucket switch looks like it's going to be in the low 70's and partly cloudy for the next two and a half weeks. Oh well. Good weather for lettuces and cool weather crops for sure.

I suppose if it's going to be that cool some radishes might be okay for a few weeks maybe in front of the peppers and tomatoes in the south bed. Yep I think I'll do that tomorrow... nice long line of radishes. They should be up and growing before the peppers get too big for sure. Hoping the peppers survive the cold. Those I may have to replant if they fail. Stupid unpredictable weather, it's never been this cold and drizzly on Memorial day in recent memory for me.

Yep planting radishes tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe some carrots?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...