Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Clouds still hanging around but seeds were planted!

 Today is a 'short day' and so compost will have to wait until tomorrow..or the next day. Breezy and cloudy all day and likely for another few days into the weekend for sure. 

The yellow flower that was such a sunny color is now a drab pale cream with pink speckles. Frog is sad to know it didn't last. There are no flowers on the yellow rose bush either but the red canna is blooming as well as multitudes of geraniums.
 
Hard to see because of the small jade plant but there are blue flowers on the tradescantia behind it. Yay for blue flowers! The cilantro keeps leaning and am almost tempted to tie it up because it's shading the onions at the front. Next time I plant that it will be on the far side or the south bed.

That tomato has a side branch coming out but not going to prune it, these are determinate and more pictures will show something. I just wove that side branch through the trellis as well. The pea plants are definitely on the way out, I saw some mildew on some of the leaves so those will be getting pulled maybe tomorrow or the next day. 
These are the tomatoes in the south bed. They managed to hide flower buds from me but you can't hide yellow flowers. I nipped them off of course because they are still way small for producing fruit. What the heck plants?!

I had nothing suitable to make channels for the radish seeds but there's plenty of room for them. So one long track along the front for the Crimson Giant and the other two for the Easter Egg and Red  Devil B.

I figured out how to use text on the picture too! Since the seed packets are labeled in pencil it disappears in the sun so this is good reference for future seed planting as well. Could have even used color on the text but didn't think about it until after edit.

Covered them up making sure they weren't too deep, used all of the Easter Egg that was left and about half the Red Devil, still plenty of Crimson Giant for the fall.  I also watered them in really well and gave the rest of the beds (other than Layla's who watered the other day) a light watering. I noticed they were a similar type as peas and when researching which came up first someone asked if they needed to be soaked. I didn't soak the ones I grew a year or so ago and most of those came up fine. The last batch though barely came up but I think it was too early in the season for them. Will see what happens this time. Much thinning will be done I suspect. Might try to do that seed tape idea in the fall.

Those peppers... the one on the left has a bit of purple around the edge of one of the lower leaves and they are both looking rather weak. With the way the weather turned it really is not ideal for them and they never really rooted in well. I have all three colors of pepper seeds now and will see about starting some in a week or so.

I sorted through my seeds and might try cucumber on that trellis after the peas. I forgot I had them. They're bush type but I remember the last one I grew had one long vine going up a stake. I suspect that was because of it being in more shade because it also never produced.

Once that cilantro is gone... more fun will be had on the trellis for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...