Saturday, September 30, 2023

No rain yet. They tried, but did not succeed.

 It's cloudy today, feels like it'll rain but nothing yet. Reports say only 15% chance today so at least it's cool, windy and cloudy. Keeps the soil moist longer.

Cat deterrent worked just fine. It was caved in but no damage to soil. Their little paws likely fell through the mesh.

Flowers first as always. Zinnias aren't very big but that orange one has a lot of buds. The purple one not as much and I wonder again if it's due to it staying moist at that end of the bed  more than the other.











Hard to see but the  middle of the bed is caved in at the end of that short stocky branch. I suspect it was another landing or take off for the wall rather than trying to do anything. I took the logs/branches out and it is ready for planting or whatever. I don't think the lettuce is going to be taking off if nothing shows in the next few days. 











Raised bed is fine, caught a moment of sunshine between the clouds for that picture. The onions are.... slow. Only the one tall one in the left cup and either a bent one or two coming up right next to each other in the right one. I will likely try and get some onion bulbs instead of onion seeds in the future. This is going to be slooooowwwww tooorrrrrrturrrreeee.











The strawberry is doing fantastic and as I've said, one out of four is fine for me. If it gets big enough to give us strawberries next year that means the potential for more plants from this one little start.

I added more 'stringers' to the trellis for the potential sweet peas. once they come up I'll move them out of the way and add another line closer to the ground for them to grab before planting them out.

I cut another piece for the west bed, just big enough to go from the potato to the other end and zinnias to the back edge. Some gap on the one end was dealt with pieces of bark.

'Layla' it seems, finally dug up the purslane that was growin in her two beds and just plunked them down on the compost bucket. I need to get out there and clean up that corner, it's looking rather trashy now with the white bag over the one bucket and the blue bag of bark. I can't put the bark down until plants are bigger and even then I'm reluctant due to it being colored bark . Will see what I can do.

That's going to be at least an hour or more of hauling out, raking, might put the bark down in that corner then the logs on top for the buckets. need to restack the cages and put the poles through the center of the chicken wire roll for keeping. The window box is another thing entirely. It'll look a whole lot better in a few days.

So with cooler weather comes more activity outside with less sweating. Yay for Fall!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...