Friday, October 27, 2023

Not much, just potato investigation.

 Weather was perfect today. Cool breeze, mostly clear skies, wonderful temperature for walking and leaving the windows open all day. It edged up to a bit too warm in the afternoon but only inside due to sun angle. Need to figure out how to reduce that with something we can roll up out of the way.

I only have four pictures of me trying to dig up the little potato start that came up under the tomato. No seeds from my friend as the post office returned the seeds to her saying there wasn't enough postage. Will get them next week sometime. It's all good.

I did get out in the morning and check on things but Dolores came out so I didn't get a chance to take any pictures. Nothing new, she noticed the rose was growing well, the oregano also and we discussed moving most of the logs away and maybe behind my bed so there's more room for a sunnier spot for her. I told her I did want to keep some of the logs but they were also being infested with termites (wonder if the lizards are doing anything about that). She asked who to talk to and I told her the manager or Mike the lead maintenance guy (who's very busy at the moment turning around 3 different units).











Seriously, that bed needs some more soil. I dug with my hands and then got the shovel. That's maybe four inches down.  The potato is indeed growing through the chicken wire on the bottom so I made a decision to keep it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

See how much shallower the shovel is on that side? There was also a lot of roots left over from the tomato and I cleared some of those out then loosened a lot of the soil and piled  it up around the stem of the potato.  If I just decided to pull it up, the stem would just break off and I'd have the rest of it under the chicken wire. Might as well just make the best of the area. The soil was all loose and nice so just piled the pieces of bark back on and put the cover back. It's not as obvious but about two inches down, the soil was dry. Once the zinnias are done I'm going to scrape as much of that area as possible and water the heck out of it.

So I did water rather well I thought, got the raised bed and the potted things, including the onions on the front porch that I watered by the cupful. Oh geez just remembered I left some peat pellets in one of the containers with water to soak up this morning!

 Not enough water for all of them to completely expand so will add more water in the morning. There's four more that I didn't use still in the box so have to hold off on those till later. What am I going to plant in there? Well, four will be sweet peas and the other two might be the burgundy onions. Carrots and radishes have to direct sow, and I still have plenty of cilantro. Really tempted to be crazy and drop a few tomatillo seeds in a container, or peppers. 

I'm being silly, need to wait and see what comes in the mail next week. The weather is just now getting to the right temperatures for planting so the delay worked to my advantage. 

There needs to be an impatient gardeners group.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...